Newsgroups: co.general
From: bha...@teal.csn.org (Bruce Hayden)
Subject: Software Piracy Forum
Sender: ne...@csn.org (news)
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1992 14:30:10 GMT

Friday, November 20, 1992, the Rocky Mountain Computer and
Technology Forum will be discussing software piracy, especially
in view of recent revisions to 18 U.S.C. Section 2319 making it
a felony to copy 10 or more works, or works with a value of
$2,500 within a 6 month period.

The bill making copyright infringement a felony was championed by
the Software Publishers Association (SPA). It was also supported
by Nintendo. The IEEE testified against the bill.

Included on the panel is Bruce E. Hayden, Esq. an intellectual
property attorney whose practice emphasizes computer law issues.
There should be at least one more attorney on the panel, hopefully
a prosecutor, present or former, to speak of the technical
requirements of the felony, especially as to the intent required.

The monthly (during the school year) Rocky Mountain Computer and
Technology Forums are lively discussions of current events, especially
at the intersection of computers, software, and the law. There are
invariably outspoken partisans on opposite sides of each issue,
adding to the debate.

Attorneys can obtain up to 2 Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits
for attending. However, one need not be an attorney to attend. Indeed,
in the last year, many of the forums have had more non-attorneys present.
You are encouraged to bring a brown bag lunch and participate in the debate.

The forum is being held in the Barrett Room, Second Floor, Porter
Administration Building, University of Denver College of Law,
7039 East 18th Avenue, Denver. This is the building just south of
the Lowell Thomas Law Center located at 19th and Olive.