Newsgroups: comp.org.eff.talk
From: man...@netcom.com (Tom Mandel)
Subject: ACLU challenges Rusty and Edie's Bust
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1993 17:47:23 GMT

According to a story in Compuserve's On Line Today news forum
this morning, the ACLU has announced that it is challenging
the recent FBI bust of Rusty and Edie's BBS.

The FBI recently busted the BBS, one of the largest in the
United States, confiscating its hardware and customer records
because of allegations that the BBS was a source of illegally
distributed copyrighted software.

The ACLU said that it questioned the use of criminal law
in a copyright infringement case, noting that civil law
was normally used in such areas.

The ACLU challenge is most interesting because it characterizes
the BBS as a kind of electronic newspaper for its 14,000
customers.  So the challenge may be important in defining
the legal status of BBS's and similar computer media.

--
Tom Mandel              man...@netcom.com           man...@qm.sri.com

[1] Opinions are mine, not my employer's, except when we agree.
[2] Having a WELL account should not be construed as a permanent disability.
[3] Email to the above; flames to alt.fan.amy-fisher.

>According to a story in Compuserve's On Line Today news forum
>this morning, the ACLU has announced that it is challenging
>the recent FBI bust of Rusty and Edie's BBS.

       Excellent.  I'm glad to see the ACLU involved.

					John Nagle