Newsgroups: fa.unix-wizards
From: ucbvax!unix-wizards
Date: Tue Oct  6 18:10:44 1981
Subject: tex & metafont

>From dsp.dove@MIT-SPEECH@MIT-AI Tue Oct  6 18:01:32 1981
Can either of these be run on a sep i/d 11 (with overlays).  I need new
fonts badly and vtroff has its failings.

Newsgroups: fa.unix-wizards
From: ucbvax!unix-wizards
Date: Wed Oct  7 18:20:54 1981

>From ESVAX.clemc@Berkeley Wed Oct  7 18:16:40 1981
	TEX might make it split I/D through the VU Pascal compiler.
I always wanted to try, but never got around to it.  As for MetaFont,
to my knowledge in never got translated into Pascal, so until someone
hacks a Sail compiler for UNIX, no chance.
	Clem

Newsgroups: net.general
From: qumix!gandalf
Date: Mon Mar 15 13:47:16 1982
Subject: TEX and Metafont

Is there anyone out there using Metafont or TEX on a UNIX system?
We are thinking of trying to install them on our VAX 11/750 and
would appreciate hearing about anyone else's experiences with them.
Please respond through the mail and I will summarize the responses
at some future time.

                                        decvax!ittvax!qumix!gandalf
					Al Chetham, System Wizard
					Qume Corp
					San Jose, CA

Newsgroups: net.periphs
From: yale-com!jod
Date: Wed Mar 17 21:45:54 1982
Subject: Re:Typesetting Mathematics

We are using an Imagen Imprint-10 laser printer with great success here
for a variety of textual and typesetting needs.  It's a 10 page/minute,
240 dot/inch plain paper process printer with its own controller; interfaces
over either a 9600 baud terminal line or line printer interface; does
everything a typesetter will (and more); and comes with lots of good
software.  Spooling system, troff support, SCRIBE support -- soon general
vector and polygon fill.  Output quality is about as nice as a Dover to my
eye (good contrast makes up for slightly lower dot resolution); it costs
$30K ($24 for schools).  Oh yes, TEX too; comes with Metafont font set.
A small number of schools have them so far.  I recommend it as the
solution to typesetting mathematics.

Newsgroups: net.general
From: qumix!gandalf
Date: Wed Mar 24 13:57:47 1982

We have obtained a copy of TEX, metafont, web, tangle, and weave source
files from Donald Knuth at Stanford University.  We are now trying to
install them on our VAX 11/750 System running UNIX 4.1bsd.  We will
keep the net posted as to our progress.  The person responsible for
installation is:

			      decvax!ittvax!qumix!terence.

This software is in the public domain.  We would like to thank
Donald Knuth for making this available to us (the UNIX community.)

Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
From: NRL-CSS@sri-unix
Date: Sun Jul 25 00:52:26 1982

Date: 24 Jun 1982 18:02:30-EDT
I would appreciate any information on implementations of
Knuth's TEX and Metafont for Unix.

Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
From: UDel-Relay@sri-unix
Date: Thu Aug 12 05:12:54 1982
Subject: TeX and Metafont on UNIX

From:     Robert Morris <ram.umass-boston@UDel-Relay>
Date:     23 Jul 82 21:37:14-EDT (Fri)
I am presently (but not much longer) the coordinator for efforts
to transport TeX to VAX UNIX.  This effort is definitely in the pioneer
state and almost everyone would rather watch this space for
an announcement in a few months.  For more detail, users
with arpanet access should ftp the file   MC:BALL;RAM STATUS
from MIT-MC. Anyone who can get mail from arpanet or CSNET
sites but can not ftp files can ask me to mail them the report, or by US
mail addressed to Prof. Robert Morris, Math Sci. Dept. UMASS/Boston
Boston, MA 02166.

To my knowledge, no attempts are being made to port METAFONT.
The present TeX is from a year old, somewhat obsolete version,
has no support for anything but Versatek's, and wis generally
not supported by anyone even to the extent of answering questions.
It also has known bugs.
Better to wait.

--Bob Morris

Newsgroups: net.wanted
From: genradbo!stuart
Date: Wed Sep 15 03:56:45 1982
Subject: word processing for 4.1

Does anyone know of any word processing systems (other than nroff)
which run on Berkeley Unix 4.1 ?

Newsgroups: net.wanted
From: uw-beave!furuta
Date: Thu Sep 16 01:32:27 1982
Subject: Re: word processing for 4.1

Scribe and TeX also run under Unix.  Scribe is available from Unilogic,
Ltd. in Pittsburgh and TeX is currently in a state of flux but is
available in an older version.  Reference on Scribe:  B.K. Reid, A high-level
approach to computer document formatting.  Conference Record of the Seventh
Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, January 1980.
Reference on TeX:  D.E. Knuth, TeX and Metafont:  New Directions in Typesetting,
Digital Press and the American Mathematical Society, 1979.  I'd say that
troff (nroff), Scribe, and TeX are the big three, at present, in terms of
formatters.

			--Rick