Newsgroups: net.rumor
From: ucbernie!daemon
Date: Fri Apr 16 10:38:54 1982
Subject: Bill Joy's plans

Bill Joy has decided to become involved with a new startup company and
will be phasing out of the CSRG over the next few months.  He will be
joining Sun Microsystems, Inc., a company whose founders include Andy
Bechtolsheim, the designer of the Sun workstation.  SMI is one of a
number of companies which plan to offer microprocessor-based networked
workstations running 4.2BSD software.

Bill plans to continue full time until July 1 when an early version of
the 4.2BSD distribution should be complete and running in house.  He
will continue half time through its polishing, tuning, beta testing and
documentation phases.  Bill expects to finish writing his PhD thesis by
December.

Bill will continue as a contributor and advisor to CSRG, although it
will be a secondary activity for him.  While SMI may need to develop
proprietary software in certain specialized areas, Bill expects fixes
to the shared base of 4.2BSD programs which are made at SMI can be
distributed by Berkeley.  The current cooperative efforts between CSRG
and various industrial groups are seen as a model for the
relationship.

Bill has been a valued colleague and friend during his years at
Berkeley and he will be very much missed.  I hope you will join me in
wishing him well as he makes this transition.