Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
From: otuxa!lsk
Date: Wed Oct 27 08:08:57 1982
Subject: What's the difference between UNIX and UN*X?

I have noticed some references to UN*X, seemingly more
prevalent in BTL news groups. What's the significance of the
'*' instead of an 'I' (UN*X vs UNIX)???
Larry S. Kaufman, WECO, NSC, Lisle

Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
From: yale-com!bj
Date: Wed Oct 27 10:12:56 1982
Subject: Re: What"s the difference between UNIX and UN*X?

There are legal problems with using UNIX (tm). Every time you mention it,
the lawyers at Ma Bell want you to say it is a registered trademark of
somebody.  They also want the word to be an adjective ("The UNIX system"
rather than "UNIX").  Since I would never want to cause them problems
(I don't want to lose my phone), I avoid using the "adjective" UNIX.
Instead I use the (non-trademarked) noun UN*X.
					B.J.
					decvax!yale-comix!herbison-bj
					Herbison-BJ@Yale