Newsgroups: net.emacs
From: James.Gosl...@CMU-CS-VLSI.ARPA
Date: Tue Apr 12 04:51:12 1983
Subject: Emacs goes commercial

The version of Emacs that I wrote is now available commercially through
a company called Unipress who can be reached at (201) 985-8000.  They
will be doing development, maintenance and will be producing a real
manual.  Emacs will be available on many machines (it already runs on
VAXen under Unix and VMS, SUNs, codatas, and Microsoft Xenix).  Along
with this, I regret to say that I will no longer be distributing it.

This is a hard step to take, but I feel that it is necessary.  I can
no longer look after it properly, there are too many demands on my
time.  Emacs has grown to be completely unmanagable.  Its popularity
has made it impossible to distribute free: just the task of writing
tapes and stuffing them into envelopes is more than I can handle.

The alternative of abandoning it to the public domain is unacceptable.
Too many other programs have been destroyed that way.

Please support these folks.  The effort that they can afford to put
into looking after Emacs is directly related to the support they get.
Their prices are reasonable.

				James.