From: John McNamee <jpm@bnl.ARPA>
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards
Subject: Unix trade secret
Date: Sat, 12-Jan-85 19:12:40 EST
Sender: ne...@brl-tgr.ARPA

I know a university that allows the public to access their Vax. There
is a guest account with an easily guessed password. From this account
you can download the entire 4.2Bsd source code using umodem.

I'm sure AT&T could sue the university and win. The question is what could
AT&T do if Joe Random called up, downloaded the Unix kernel, and then put it
on a BBS? Sure they could sue this person and keep him in court for years,
but could they win?

Any legel minds on the net care to comment on this situation?
--
			John McNamee
		..!decvax!philabs!sbcs!bnl!jpm