From: laser-lovers@uw-beaver
Newsgroups: fa.laser-lovers
Subject: Re: PostScript printers vs. ImPress printers
Date: Fri, 25-Jan-85 17:17:54 EST
Sender: daemon@uw-beaver

From: Mabry Tyson <Ty...@SRI-AI.ARPA>

Thanks for the good description of the differences between PostScript and
Impress.  I have a question though.  A significant portion of our printing is
bitmap dumps of 1Kx1K screens.  Since you say that the Impress description
is characters, how much bigger would the description of the screen be (assuming
it is fairly dense in turned on bits).

The other question would be in how flexible is the description language.  If
I have a complicated display (not generated by some simple plotting commands),
would the only reasonable way to send it to a PostScript printer be the
equivalent of sending a bitmap?
-------