From: d...@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman)
Newsgroups: net.bugs.uucp
Subject: System V introduces yet another inconsistency
Date: Thu, 28-Feb-85 12:12:34 EST

Since time immemorial (well, a few years anyway), the public
directory for shipping files to a remote system (normally
/usr/spool/uucppublic) has been user "uucp"'s home directory.
In other words,    uucp file site!~uucp/file     works.

I tried this the other day with a site we talk to which is
trying to follow the System V "standard". Lo and behold, the
System V standard has "uucp" as a normal user whose home
directory is /usr/lib/uucp, and the uucico login is "nuucp".

Great. Why couldn't they leave well enough alone? Now, before
I transfer anything to/from a remote site's public directory,
I have to find out whether it's ~uucp or ~nuucp. (Or else
use /usr/spool/uucppublic and hope they haven't chosen to put
the public directory elsewhere.)

Dave Sherman
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave