From: Schau...@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA (Paul Schauble)
Newsgroups: net.lang.c
Subject: AT&T 7300 C compiler
Date: Thu, 4-Apr-85 03:39:58 EST
Sender: n...@brl-tgr.ARPA

   I just got a chance to play with the new AT&T Unix PC. Apparently the
optional C compiler only allows 8-character variable names. What gives?
The system is supposed to be System V Unix. I was under the impression
that System V allowed long names. Am  I wrong about System V in general
supporting long names?

>    I just got a chance to play with the new AT&T Unix PC. Apparently the
> optional C compiler only allows 8-character variable names. What gives?
> The system is supposed to be System V Unix. I was under the impression
> that System V allowed long names. Am  I wrong about System V in general
> supporting long names?

"System V" is a generic term, like "Unix" (although not as vague, yet).
The recent releases have long names; the old ones don't.

"System V:  consider it a moving target."
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

> "System V:  consider it a moving target."

Would you prefer that it NOT evolve?
Oh, I forgot, there hasn't been anything worthwhile since 1978.