From: lau...@RAND-UNIX.ARPA
Newsgroups: net.micro
Subject: Unix and the future
Date: Sat, 6-Apr-85 00:18:34 EST
Sender: n...@brl-tgr.ARPA

Though I really hate to say this, it certainly is true that Unix as
an operating system environment only has a comparatively limited life
ahead of it in anything resembling its current form.  Even many of the
tools are showing serious signs of age and the perpetuation of old designs,
often with many known deficiencies, is not encouraging.

I can't help but wish that the sorts of efforts that could create a
completely new operating system with new, well designed tools (not
just "copies" of Unix stuff) would get as much attention as a Unix
rewrite.

Unix and its tools are primarily being perpetuated because
ambitious newer stuff (that might not be compatible with the old
design but that would still be much better) isn't being written.
A truly ambitious effort would be to break loose from the Unix mold
with a totally different sort of OS and new tools and applications
packages that weren't based on the Unix design framework.  There's
a tremendous amount of work to be done in this area, and while
it wouldn't be easy, it would be a lot more useful in the long run
than basing work on essentially a "duplicated" Unix.

--Lauren--