From: dfh@SCIRTP.UUCP (David F. Hinnant)
Newsgroups: net.lan,net.unix-wizards
Subject: socket library under System V?
Date: Tue, 6-Aug-85 12:05:33 EDT

  We've been talking with various Ethernet vendors (Interlan, CMC,
Excelan, etc.) concerning implementing Ethernet on our 80286 Multibus
box under UNIX System V.  Software-wise they'll give us a "socket
library", TCP/IP, a driver, and the BSD applications.  All the pieces
are there; it's the "socket library" that has me a bit confused.  4.2
BSD implements sockets in the kernel. I presume the socket library gives
the same functionality, but I don't see how.  Can anyone that has this
kind of library tell me what it actually does?

  Is there a public-domain socket-type library?

  We've heard a lot about SLIP, and we're thinking about puting SLIP on
another machine of ours.  Does SLIP use 4.2 type sockets?

				As always, thanks in advance.

--
				David Hinnant
				SCI Systems, Inc.