From: c...@intelca.UUCP (Clif Purkiser)
Newsgroups: net.micro,net.arch
Subject: 386 Family Products
Date: Wed, 23-Oct-85 12:44:40 EDT

I think my orginal posting got lost in the net bit bucket in the sky.
If this material is repeated my apologies.

Wed. Oct 16, Intel announced the 80386 the newest 32-bit microprocessor along
with an entire family of 386 products.  While the entire list of press releases
and Intel announcements would take too long to enumurate I thought I would
highlight some of the more important portions of the 80386 introduction.

The introduction consisted of speeches by Intel executives and two
demonstrations of the 80386's incrediable functionality.   An Intel 310
system was shown running Xenix 286 uith a 386 used in place of the 286.
This demonstration was followed by Lotus, SideKick, and Flight Simulator
all running on a PC-AT using an 386 to 286 adaptor board.   Flight Simulator
proved to be the hit of the show since it is the acid test of
IBM PC compatibility, and looks great on a 8' x 10' screen.

Additional demos included RMX-286  (Intel's real time OS) running
at 16 MHz on a 386/20 board, and Daisy Systems CAD tools for board and
system level designs using a real 386.

In addition to the 80386 the following products were also introduced

	386/20  A 386 based MultiBus I board featuring a 64K byte cache
		and a High Speed 32-bit memory interface supporting up to
		16 megabytes of dual-port system memory.

	386/100	A MULTIBUS II single board computer with the same memory
		configurations as the 386/20 with special purpose message
		passing silicon.

	PSCOPE 386 A ROM based high-level software debugger for the 80386.

	ICE 386	An In Circuit Emulator which provides full speed emulation of
		the 80386.  It provides an excellent tool for hardware and
		software integration.

	Languages The following languages were announced for the 80386
		ASM, C, PLM, FORTRAN, and ADA

	Software Tools	A complete system of software tools including a
		Builder, Binder,Mapper, Librarian, and numerics
		support libraries.

All software tools are orginally hosted on Xenix 286 based systems
(in particular a Xenix 286/310 microcomputer)  Hosting of these tools
on other computers is planned for the near future.

Weitek and Intel also announced an agreement under which both companies will
develop and market a chip that provides an interface between the 80386 and
Weitek's 1164 and 1165 64-bit floating point processors.  The Weitek chip
set provides floating-point performance in excess of 2 MFLOPS.  Systems
using the 80386 when combined with the Weitek Chip set will offer
performance of 4 million Whetstones per second.

Finally, AT&T and Intel announced the signing of a contract for porting
of the Unix* System V Operating System to the 80386.  The port is one
of the first agreements for the Networking features of the System V operating
system, and is a continuation of the AT&T-Intel partnership to bring state of
the art Unix System V technology to Intel microprocessors.

Additional information is available on these products by contacting your
local Intel sales office or by calling toll free

(800) 538-1876, ask for operator 386 and receive a packet of information
about the 80386 (data sheet, product announcements etc).

I am also posting a fairly short description of the 80386 itself.
If you have additional comments you may contact me via e-mail.  If
time allows I will attempt to answer other questions.  However I
suspect most answers will be to call the above number.

Clif Purkiser
386 Product Marketing
{amd hplaps pur-ee}!intelca

Unix is a trademark of AT&T
ICE-386, PSCOPE-386, MULTIBUS, RMX  are all trademarks of Intel