From: r...@mplvax.UUCP (Richard Currier)
Newsgroups: net.news.group,net.news.adm,net.news.config
Subject: Removing Macintosh related groups from the net.
Date: Tue, 29-Oct-85 13:25:26 EST

I must strongly protest the discussed removal of the Macintosh related
groups.  I use the groups for my WORK which, among other things, involves
looking into the feasiblity of using the Macintosh as an inexpensive
graphics terminal IN THE UNIX ENVIRONMENT.

There is a growing number people in my organization using the Macintosh
to offload some of our word processing/engineering drawing tasks to lighten
the load on our Unix systems in addition to using them as intelligent/graphics
terminals IN THE UNIX ENVIRONMENT. A steady flow of information and software
from others doing the same kinds of research is essential to our WORK.

Finding the MacWrite to troff converter and the MacPaint to imagen software
on the group has been helpful to our WORK. It allows us to create documents
with drawings in the Macintosh environment and upload them to be modified and
distributed to others in our UNIX ENVIRONMENT and converted to hardcopy on
our laser printer.

I emphasize the WORK because that is what this network is supposed to be used
for: the dissemination of information for the purpose of increasing one's eff-
ectiveness at WORK. If there is a legal problem with "shareware" then find out
about it and act accordingly. If there is no real problem, then leave the
shareware alone. I have found a few gems come through that more than justify
the existence of the group. Software, by the way, that I use in my WORK.

I have to strongly protest any attempt to limit mac.sources in any way until
it can be shown that there are no other alternatives. Net.micro.mac and Net.
mac.sources are useful, productive and legitimate groups and will remain so
certainly as long as there people on the net investigating the use of the
Macintosh in the UNIX WORK PLACE.

--

	richard currier		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!rec