From: dev...@asgb.UUCP (Robert J. Devine)
Newsgroups: net.internat,net.unix
Subject: Daylight Saving Time -- help!
Date: Wed, 6-Nov-85 21:47:19 EST

  Please, if you post a reply to this, reply to "net.internat".

  I'm working on a conversion routine for a product that we plan
to sell wherever we do business.  Timezone information for the
various countries is easily available, but, Daylight Saving Time
rules are hard to obtain (many European countries seem to change
them from year to year).  I am using tables put together from a
variety of sources that are incomplete and may be wrong.

  Can anybody complete/correct the start- and finish-date tables for
Daylight Saving Time for the following countries/regions?  The 'start'
and 'finish' dates are starting points in a search for the next Sunday
on which the change from standard to daylight time occurs.

country		year	start   finish
-------         ----    -----   ------
USA		all	119	303

Australia	all	303	65

South Africa	all	303	65

New Zealand	all	303	65

Western Europe	1985	89	303
Western Europe	1986	89	301
Western Europe	1987	89	301
Western Europe	1988	89	301
[Western Europe = Great Britain, Ireland, Portugal]

Middle Europe	1985	89	272
Middle Europe	1986	89	272
Middle Europe	1987	89	272
Middle Europe	1988	89	272
[Middle Europe = Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway,
		 Austria, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Sweden, Switzerland,
		 DDR, DBR, France, Spain, Hungary, Italy, Yugoslavia]

Eastern Europe	?	?	?	// assume Middle Europe?
[Eastern Europe = Bulgaria, Finland, Greece, Rumania, Turkey, Western USSR]

??Others??	?	?	?

  I know that the Congress is fooling around with changing the
start and finish dates for the USA instead of working on changes to
the tax code [editorial comment :-)].  Has there been similar changes
in any other country?

  Any information or leads to information will be appreciated!

Bob Devine
Burroughs Distributed Systems Group/Boulder, CO.
seismo!hao!asgb!devine OR [ihnp4!sabre OR sdcrdcf OR sdcsvax]!bmcg!asgb!devine