From: r...@glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid)
Newsgroups: net.text
Subject: fixed-pitch spacing in ordinary troff
Date: Sat, 30-Nov-85 03:45:28 EST

Can anybody tell me the magic troff incantation for jimmying a font
so that its characters come out in a fixed-pitch spacing? I'd like
to be able to print netnews ".signature" files in troff, and have
all of the cute graphics come out. I know about the ".cs" command,
but I don't know what arguments to give it and I don't know how
to un-do its effect when I am done with the fixed-width stuff.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	r...@SU-Glacier.ARPA

> Can anybody tell me the magic troff incantation for jimmying a font
> so that its characters come out in a fixed-pitch spacing? I'd like
> to be able to print netnews ".signature" files in troff, and have
> all of the cute graphics come out. I know about the ".cs" command,
> but I don't know what arguments to give it and I don't know how
> to un-do its effect when I am done with the fixed-width stuff.
> 	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid

The format is
		.cs F [N [Msize]]

	F - Font
	N - Width in 1/36 em units; Turn off if omitted.
	M - Width of an em (optional)

Example:
	.cs R 36   (or ".cs 1 36" for font position 1 if you prefer)

will change to constant pitch with each char a width of your "em",
and,
	.cs R      ( or ".cs 1")
will revert back to normal.

Or, you can also select a constant width font. For example:

	.ft CW		- Constant Width
	.ft P		- back to previous font
--
Ken Greer