From: jsl...@wright.CSNET.UUCP
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax
Subject: Ultrix 1.2 query for mod.computers.vax
Date: Tue, 13-May-86 13:30:08 EDT
Sender: j...@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Does anyone have any experience with the Ultrix-32 1.2 updates? Specifically:

o Has there been any changes regarding Sendmail and domain based addressing?
  Must I still use my hacked Sendmail originally from the 4.2 distribution?

o Does DECnet/ULTRIX really work, and what is the relative difficulty of
  modding a sendmail cf to handle the DECnet mailer? We are already running
  CSNET/PMDF, UUCP for both USENET and local mail, and TCP/IP over a local
  ethernet, so our cf is already interesting :-).

o What are the known compatibility problems between 4.2BSD and ULTRIX 1.2?
  Can I reasonably expect SPICE, CAESAR, C-Prolog, etc. etc. etc. to run,
  or will this be a traumatic experience for all involved?

o Any other general comments, such as software breakage, increased/decreased
  functionality, etc.? Is DEC molding ULTRIX such that only DEC will be
  able to supply software to run under it (4.3 is looking better and better)?

Thanks!
		John Sloan, Computer Science and Engineering
		Wright State University, Dayton OH 45435
		(513) 873 - 2491
		CSNET:	jsl...@wright.EDU
		UUCP:	cbosgd!crdnl!wright!jsloan

"WARFARE: a conflict that does not prove who is right, but who is left."

> Does anyone have any experience with the Ultrix-32 1.2 updates? Specifically:
> o Has there been any changes regarding Sendmail and domain based addressing?

No, sendmail.cf hasn't changed as far as I can tell.  I use the UUCP
Project's sendmail.cf (distributed with smail -- I believe a new
posting of smail will be coming in the near future in mod.sources).

> o Does DECnet/ULTRIX really work, and what is the relative difficulty of
>   modding a sendmail cf to handle the DECnet mailer? We are already running
>   CSNET/PMDF, UUCP for both USENET and local mail, and TCP/IP over a local
>   ethernet, so our cf is already interesting :-).

It works great.  We run UUCP, TCP/IP, and DECnet.  The mail goes fine.
The changes to sendmail.cf are made at DECnet/Ultrix install time, but
they are not adequate for a Internet sendmail.cf.  Drop me a note and
I'll show you the changes we made (really just catching and converting
host::node addresses to u...@host.domain).  They are easy to make and minor.

> o What are the known compatibility problems between 4.2BSD and ULTRIX 1.2?
>   Can I reasonably expect SPICE, CAESAR, C-Prolog, etc. etc. etc. to run,
>   or will this be a traumatic experience for all involved?

You should reasonably expect things to run.  There is an occasional
program that might need recompiling -- certain structures have
changed, etc.  But I suspect the same could be said for 4.3BSD.

> o Any other general comments, such as software breakage, increased/decreased
>   functionality, etc.? Is DEC molding ULTRIX such that only DEC will be
>   able to supply software to run under it (4.3 is looking better and better)?

Increased functionality!  U-32 V1.2 is 4.2BSD compatible and System V
compatible (based on the SVID Spring 1985.  There are two programming
environments -- non-System V and System V.  4.3BSD performance
enhancements are a part of U-32 V1.2.  Not all -- all those that were
gleaned when V1.2's code was frozen.  Others will be in the next
release.  I think DEC's publically stated commitment to the  standards
effort (P1003, /usr/group, SVID, etc.) indicates an interest in
compatibility and supportability.

I am in a support organization in the field.  I don't make policy.
But I do know that DEC is interested in good third party products that
will run under the Ultrix-32 O/S.  In some cases DEC has announced DEC
support of these products (eg, Latitude).  In others, DEC gives
reference for where to obtain third party support.  (All this gotten
from the Ultrix Software Source Book, 2nd Edition (EJ-27741-43).)