From: dfh@scirtp.UUCP (David F. Hinnant)
Newsgroups: net.arch,net.micro.att
Subject: AT&T MIPS claim
Date: Wed, 28-May-86 23:56:53 EDT

 I just read some trade rag that had an ad in it from Ma Bell about
the UNIX PC.  They made this interesting claim that the UNIX PC gives
you "75% of the power of a VAX 11/780" for "only 7% of the cost".
Arrgh.  Come on guys.  If I wanted to hear propaganda I'd plug Intel
into one ear and Motorola in the other.  Is this the MIP rating for the
68010 as compared to the VAX?  Looks like it.  One really couldn't ask
for a better example of the Meaningless Index of Performance.  I've seen
many a 780 run with more than 20 users.  I'd like to see you put that
many on a UNIX PC that I found can barely support one.

--
				David Hinnant
				SCI Systems, Inc.

> ...  They made this interesting claim that the UNIX PC gives
> you "75% of the power of a VAX 11/780" for "only 7% of the cost".
> Arrgh.  ...  Is this the MIP rating for the
> 68010 as compared to the VAX?  Looks like it.  One really couldn't ask
> for a better example of the Meaningless Index of Performance.  I've seen
> many a 780 run with more than 20 users.  I'd like to see you put that
> many on a UNIX PC that I found can barely support one.

This is Apples and Oranges ... a MIP, however meaningless, is a CPU benchmark,
and a "user" is a rather ill-defined I/O benchmark ... and I do believe
the I/O on the 7300 is not up to the CPU.  Maybe when someone comes up
with a realistic I/O benchmark we can really start comparing UNIX hardware.
(Yes, that marketing claim is absurd.)
--
    Dave Brownell
    EnMasse Computer Corporation

>> ...  They made this interesting claim that the UNIX PC gives
>> you "75% of the power of a VAX 11/780" for "only 7% of the cost".
>> Arrgh.  ...  Is this the MIP rating for the
>> 68010 as compared to the VAX?  Looks like it.  One really couldn't ask
>> for a better example of the Meaningless Index of Performance.  I've seen
>> many a 780 run with more than 20 users.  I'd like to see you put that
>> many on a UNIX PC that I found can barely support one.
>
>This is Apples and Oranges ... a MIP, however meaningless, is a CPU benchmark,
>and a "user" is a rather ill-defined I/O benchmark ... and I do believe
>the I/O on the 7300 is not up to the CPU.

On the other hand, if you stuff 8 Meg into a UNIX PC, put an RP07 or an RA81
or similar sort of large, fast disk on it, you get the quoted horsepower at
a considerable, but less than 100% cost of the 780.  If you don't consider
"optional" equipment when comparing 2 boxes, you aren't REALLY comparing them.
If you don't consider "equivalent configuration" you're in the wrong ballpark.
Not that I'm defending the claim in the glossy literature -- I'm not (and
can't) -- but, with similar configurations, the claim is accurate in its
description of the power of the UNIX PC.  Dave Brownell's comment also applies.
--
	Marty Shannon
UUCP:	ihnp4!attunix!mjs

Disclaimer: I speak for no one.

"If I never loved, I never would have cried." -- Simon & Garfunkel