From geer@ATHENA.MIT.EDU Mon Aug 11 15:28:44 1986
From: Dan Geer <geer@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 86 15:20:20 EDT
To: bcn, geer, ostlund, treese
Subject: notes from today's discussion of kerberos deployment
1. Propagage /krb/passwd to all time share machines today. This
implements John's dual /etc/passwd change and Kerberos register/change
routine as of code freeze date.
2. Next week, pending testing by friendlies who already have /krb in
their search path before /bin and /usr/ucb, move passwd to
/usr/athena. This will allow /bin/passwd to remain as it now is (which
is useful in single user mode especially) and yet puts the new passwd
in front of all users, based on Athena standard search paths.
Staff machines on Monday; rest of Athena on Friday pending favorable
3. A new release of Kerberos with the ticket-granting ticket and other
associated changes out today or tomorrow; this is waiting on bug fixes
to mtc's (/krb/)rsh code.
4. Bugs remain in using the new passwd on workstations, and will be
5. Kerberos dependent servers (klogind & kshd) to be propagated to
all Athena machines today. I'll take responsibility to notify relevant
parties. Other key files are /etc/services entries and the /etc/srvtab
(unique) machine key.
6. The old /etc/k_in_tkts file is no longer needed.