From: g...@cbdkc1.UUCP ( George Erhart x4021 CB 3E373 DEBR )
Newsgroups: net.micro.mac
Subject: Porting UNIX Applications to the Mac
Date: Fri, 12-Sep-86 07:56:57 EDT

I am currently involved in a second try to port Dave Betz' SDB (Simple
DataBase) to the Mac. The first try was using Megamax C and it was
far from successful. The second is with LightSpeed C and it too
is having problems.

My plan was to port the UNIX version straight out, get it running, and then
convert it into a Mac Application. (You know ... menus, dialog boxes, fonts,
etc ...) Unfortunately, it appears that most Mac C compilers do not come
with very good libc.a implementations. The one for MegaMax was full of
bugs.  I am still having random crashes in the token parsing stuff from
the LSC version.

Does anyone else have any comments or experience with this kind of porting?

--
George Erhart at AT&T Bell Laboratories Columbus, Ohio
614-860-4021 {ihnp4,cbosgd}!cbdkc1!gwe