From: j...@gould9.UUCP (Joel West)
Newsgroups: net.micro.mac,net.micro.68k
Subject: What's Nu with VME for Mac?
Date: Mon, 27-Oct-86 20:58:18 EST

As John Sculley himself confirmed, Apple is working hard to undo the
Steve Jobs' Macintosh-as-a-toaster no-slot mistake.  (People don't spend
$2,500 for toasters; a CD-ROM/audio CD player at $400 would be a more
likely candidate for a mass-market home computer.)  Some sort of
announcement in 1987 is expected, presumably before the non-competition
agreement with Jobs expires in summer '87.

The rumor column in 10/27 InfoWorld contains yet another claim that
the slotted Mac will use TI's NuBus.  An observer I trust say that's
pure disinformation (presumably to catch leaks), that the product
is VME all the way.

I know the Sun-3 is VME; aren't most of the other 680xx boxes
also VME?  To my knowledge, only LMI (Symbolics?) and TI use Nu.

Would anyone care to comment on the technical advantages to using
either bus?  From a marketing standpoint, I would think VME would
offer a strong advantage.
--
	Joel West			     MCI Mail: 282-8879
	Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083