From: daleg...@dalcs.UUCP (Dale Gass)
Newsgroups: comp.sources.wanted
Subject: Re: vi like editor for IBM pc
Date: Tue, 20-Jan-87 07:37:31 EST

In article <9...@uwmacc.UUCP>, edwa...@uwmacc.UUCP writes:

>   Are there any public domain, or comercial "vi" or "vi like"
>  editors available ?

The Aztec C Compiler package from Manx Software includes an editor called
'Z' (or 'PCZ') that is an exact duplicate of the 'vi' editor.

The only problem is the Compiler package that includes this editor cost
upwards of $500.  I don't know if Manx offers the editor separately, but
it might be worth a try.  (If you're into C, the Aztec compiler is very
fast and effecient, and comes with an excellent source debugger...)

Dale Gass, Dalhousie U., Halifax, N.S., Canada

UUCP:   {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!dalegass.UUCP
     				       or daleg...@dalcs.UUCP
        ...!dalcs!dalcsug!dalegass.UUCP  or daleg...@dalcsug.UUCP
CDN:    daleg...@cs.dal.cdn
CSNET:  dalegass%cs.dal....@ubc.csnet
ARPA:   dalegass%cs.dal.cdn%ubc.cs...@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

>>   Are there any public domain, or comercial "vi" or "vi like"
>>  editors available ?
>>

>The Aztec C Compiler package from Manx Software includes an editor called
>'Z' (or 'PCZ') that is an exact duplicate of the 'vi' editor.
>
>The only problem is the Compiler package that includes this editor cost
>upwards of $500.  I don't know if Manx offers the editor separately, but
>it might be worth a try.  (If you're into C, the Aztec compiler is very
>fast and effecient, and comes with an excellent source debugger...)

	There is a very good version of VI for the PC available from

		Custom Software Systems
		PO Box 678
		Natick, MA  01760
		617-653-2555

	Although I don't use all the esoteric feature of VI, every VI feature
I am used to on 4.2BSD VI is present on PC/VI, except piping (!). Too bad.

	I believe they want about $130 for it. It is very solid and will edit
large files. It is a little slow on a PC, primarily on startup. Much better to
have a hard disk. It feels fine on an AT.

	You may have to use an ANSI driver other than ANSI.SYS (supplied by
IBM). They recomment FANSI-CONSOLE from Hershey Micro Consulting, but other
drivers may work.

	The Z editor mention above is nice, small and fast. It, however,
implements only a small subset of VI. The version of Z I have, for example,
doesn't allow any EX-style commands such as global replace, etc (only :wq).
It also fails on files above, roughly, 30kb.

	I hope this helps...

					Cheers,
					Dan Ts'o
					Dept. Neurobiology