From: ea...@smeagol.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.mail.uucp,news.admin
Subject: Scary Thought ...
Date: Wed, 4-Mar-87 01:20:26 EST
Sender: n...@smeagol.JPL.NASA.GOV

Recently, two people at JPL became recipients of Lauren Weinstein's `uulink'
package for IBM PC's & clones, which provides UUCP capability for them.  I've
also seen John Gilmore mention a thingy called `uuslave', which I would
imagine probably does the same thing or something similar (or a certain subset
of UUCP).  Now, these `uulink' copies are serial numbers #199 and #200, so it
is safe to say that there's nothing to worry about yet, but I shudder to the
thought of suddenly flooding the net with newsites that are all PC's running
these programs or equivalent.  Seems like we have enough sites as it is
without suddenly being deluged with a million PC-DOS machines suddenly
clamoring to be part of Usenet.  From both an administrative and logistical
viewpoint, it seems to me like this could present a problem of major
magnitude if everyone and his mother jumps on the bandwagon and starts running
these programs and announcing themselves to news.newsite.

Note that I am not passing judgement on this chain of events, it is just
something that I noted since I have now seen `uulink' in action on these
people's machines, and extrapolating from there.  I'd just be interested to
see what other people think of this possible scenario.

Am I being overly paranoid, or could this be a portend of things to come?

--
	Greg Earle	UUCP: sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle; attmail!earle
	JPL		ARPA: elroy!smeagol!ea...@csvax.caltech.edu