From: a...@botter.UUCP
Newsgroups: comp.os.minix
Subject: GOTO statement considered suspicious
Date: Fri, 12-Jun-87 06:38:40 EDT

I just got the message enclosed below.  Apparently people on bitnet can
read news but not send it.  If there are other people on bitnet/arpanet
etc who can't post news, you can send it to me and I will post it, unless
things get out of hand.  Please put NEWS: at the start of the subject line,
so I can tell which items to post.  I am still embarrassed about the time
I scrawled a personal, handwritten letter to the news-starved editor of one
of the ACM SIG newsletters, and he published it.

On the subject of mail/news, I am very conscientious about answering my
e-mail, even though there is a lot of it.  However, if the mail comes in
with reply address j...@foobar.uucp and our router doesn't know
about foobar, there is nothing I can do.  If you haven't gotten a reply
to mail within a week, send it again and include your full path from seismo
or mcvax.

Andy Tanenbaum (a...@cs.vu.nl)
Hi!
This actually is meant for the minix newsgroup, but since i can't send to
it (as far as I know) I sent this to you.
It seems that the Minix Compiler is buggy in respect to goto's.
I noticed this the following way: I copied the source of Yacc from a
4.2BSD machine (VAX) and changed the headerfile with the definition
of the number of bits/int.
I compiled almost without trouble, but it didn't run. It completely
crashed the system after having read some of its input and having
written some of the intended output.
So I added fprintf's to it, and the more I added, the stranger the
results got: it did less and less and less.
The broblem may have to do with goto's in the program.
The question is: has this been noticed before, or is the bug somewhere
else ??
---
The opinions possibly reflected herein are my own, and not necessarily those
of someone else I might be connected with. They MAY, however, be.
--- Olaf (Rhialto) Seibert...  u613...@hnykun11.bitnet