From: p...@lznv.ATT.COM (Paul S. R. Chisholm)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: UNIX(R) tools for MS-DOS (list)
Date: Wed, 29-Jul-87 00:00:40 EDT

< "I'm *not* expendable, I'm *not* stupid, and I'm *NOT* going!" >

I've collected a list of UNIX(R)-like tools that run under MS-DOS(TM).
A lot of this information is from Harry Avant's article, "UNIX Shells
and Utilities for DOS PCs" in the June 1987 issue of UNIX/World; the
rest is from various advertisements.  I'd be interested in others that
any of you know, or experience you've had with them.  A collection of
UNIX-like public domain and shareware tools was just posted to
comp.binaries.ibm.pc, but I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.
I'm primarily interested in supported commercial tools.  Please send
mail to Internet p...@lznv.att.com, AT&T Mail !psrchisholm, or Usenet
lznv!psc via mtune, allegra, cbosgd, ihnp4, or any other Action Central
site.  -Paul S. R. Chisholm

MKS Toolkit, $140US:  Mortice Kern Systems, 43 Bridgeport Road East,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada  N2J 2J4, 519-884-2251.  Includes awk,
banner, basename, c, cal, cat, cd, chmod, cmp, comm, cp, cpio, crypt,
ctags, cut, date, dd, deroff, dev, df, diff, dirname, du, echo, ed,
egrep, env, expand, expr, fg, fgrep, file, find, fmt, fold, getopt,
grep, head, help, init, join, kill, lc, line, login, ls, mkdir, more,
mv, nm, od, pack, passwd, paste, pcat, pr, prof, ps, pwd, rev, rm,
rmdir, sed, sh (really ksh), size, sleep, sort, split, strings, strip,
sum, switch, tail, tee, test, time, touch, tr, uname, unexpand, uniq,
unpack, unstrip, vi (included, but also available separately), wc,
which, who.  MasterCard and Visa accepted.

Comments:  A friend of mine just ordered from them.  He said they
sounded like sterotypical, "Great White North" Canadians.  He also said
version 2.2 was shipping (registered users can upgrade for $45US; new
disks, all new manuals.).  They have site licenses available (and some
AT&T sites have them).  I've heard *very* good things about these
people.  MKS vi still supports, but no longer requires, an ANSI device
driver.  They're on Usenet somewhere, and provide support via phone,
paper mail, and email!  Final note:  how come we Americans can't sell
those nasty furriners *any* encryption software, but these Canadians
can sell us crypt(1)?  (Flames to /dev/null, *please*!)

PC/VI, $149; PC/TOOLS, $49; PC/SPELL, $49:  Custom Software Systems, PO
Box 678, Natick, MA  01760, 617-653-2555.  Includes banner, bfs, cal,
chmod, cut, diff, diffh, diff3, grep, head, make, od, paste, pr, rm,
sed, see, sort, spell (separate package), split, strings, tail, touch,
tr, vi (separate package), wc.  American Express, MasterCard, and Visa
accepted.

Comments:  They had the first good PC implementation of vi; I've heard
good things about it.  Don't know anything about PC/TOOLS.  PC/SPELL
does prefix and suffix stripping, but from the ad, it looks like just a
spelling *checker*, not a spelling *corrector*.

PCNX, $49:  Wendin, PO Box 3888, Spokane, WA  99220-3888, 509-624-8088.
Includes at, cat, cmp, cp, cron, date, df, echo, false, file, find,
finger, getty, grep, group, grppswd, head, kill, line, logname, lpd,
lpr, ls, mail, mkdir, mkgroup, mkuser, more, mv, news, nice, nohup, od,
passwd, pr, ps, rev, rm, rmdir, rmgroup, rmuser, sh, sleep, strings,
stty, tail, tee, test, time, touch, true, tty, uniq, wc, who, whodo,
write.  American Express, MasterCard, Visa accepted.

Comments:  PCNX is a UNIX-like environment; not just UNIX-like tools,
but multi-processing under MS-DOS.  I don't know if you can use these
utilities from vanilla MS-DOS, or only while running PCNX.  Wendin is
now pushing "Wendin-DOS", a $99 "multitasking, multiuser MS-DOS
replacement".  Anyone know what's up in Spokane these days?

PercentShell, $95:  Thompson Automation, PO Box 5163, Beaverton OR
97006, 503-645-9434.  Includes cat, chmod, cmp, cp, cu, cut, df, diff,
du, egrep, fgrep, grep, head, login, ls, mf, mkdir, more, mv, paste,
pr, printenv, pwd, rm, rmdir, sed, sh (some csh/ksh functions), split,
tail, tee, touch, tr, uudecode, uuencode, wc, whereis.

Micro C-Shell, $50; Micro C-Tools, $25; Micro Make, $25; Beckemeyer
Development Tools, 478 Santa Clara Ave., Suite 300, Oakland CA  94610,
415-452-1129.  Includes banner, cal, chmod, cmp, csh (separately),
date, dc, detab, diff, entab, fgrep, file, find, head, lpr, make, num,
od, pick, pr, rpl, sed, show, sort, split, strings, tail, tee, touch,
uniq, wc.

Comments:  also available for Atari ST.

Utility Pack, $75:  Peak InfoSystems, 727 Manitou Ave., Manitou
Springs, CO  80829, 303-685-1137.  Includes calendar, calpath, cat, cb,
chgvol, chmod, cl, col, crypt, d, df, e, ed, extract, grep, latest,
list, pg, prep, ptx1, ptx2, ptxpath, red, renum, sort, split, table,
tail, tee, tolower, touch, tr, uniq, update, uptime.

Comments:  cat (at least) knows about WordStar files (eighth bit on).
Also includes disk twiddler, Epson printer utilities, and a loan
amortization program (oh, gee!)

DOS Helper, $50:  MetaWare, 903 Pacific Ave., Suite 201, Santa Cruz CA
95060-4429, 408-429-6382.  Includes cat, find, fgrep, ls, mv, tail,
uniq, wc.

Comments:  find knows how to create (UNIX-compatible??) "tar" archives.

Aztek C86-d Developer System, $299:  Manx Software Systems, 1
Industrial Way, Eatontown NJ  07724, 800-221-0440, 205-542-2121.
American Express, MasterCard, Visa accepted.  Includes cc, diff, grep,
make, vi.

Comments:  This is really a C compiler with some UNIX-like utilities.
Anyone know if the utilities are available separately?  Also available
for Apple II, TRS-80, CP/M-80, Macintosh, Amiga.

Text Management Utilities, $120:  Lattice, PO Box 3072, Glen Ellyn IL
60138, 312-858-7950.  Includes diff, ed, grep, wc, and non-UNIX
utilities (build, extract, files, splat).

Personal PVCS, $149; PVCS, $395:  Polytron, 1815 NW 169th Pl.,
Beaverton OR  97006, 800-547-4000, 503-684-3000.

Comments:  A "Version Control System".  They also sell a $150 make.

UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T.
MS-DOS is a trademark of Microsoft.
I'm not speaking for my employer, I'm just speaking my mind.