From: r...@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Rick Rashid)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards
Subject: Re: MACH - who will/does own it ?
Date: Wed, 26-Aug-87 16:59:25 EDT

CMU is distributing Mach under a license, but there is no charge, royalty,
or fee of any kind associated with the license.  In fact, we are sending
people documents and tapes at our own expense and losing significant
amounts of money.  The quid pro quo of the license is that we expect
those who sign it to return to CMU modifications to our software so we
can freely redistribute those improvements to others.

Obviously, as I mentioned before, we require proof of a Berkeley license
so the system is not "free" unless you have already paid for that license.
CMU generated code, however, is free of charge.  We hope to eventually
package the distribution such that CMU kernel and user code would be
separate from Berkeley derived code and distributable without the
Berkeley license requirement.

Obviously we would have
liked to have had the luxury of avoiding use of licensed software in our
work, but the reality is that we are a research organization with limited
resources.  We felt that it was more important for us to advance the
state of the art than to reproduce it in an unlicensed form.  We welcome
contributions by others such as FSF that enhance our software without
adding more complicated licensing requirements or fees.

-Rick