From: m...@osiris.UUCP (Marcus J. Ranum)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards,comp.arch
Subject: Jerry Pournelle on UNIX (From BYTE)
Date: 31 Dec 87 22:01:06 GMT

From Jan BYTE: (Jerry Pournelle)

	"I must say that as I watch the OS/2 story unfold, I do begin to
wonder: if UNIX is ever made stable enough to be put in ROM, so that you
don't need a guru to maintain the system, there's less and less reason why
it won't catch on. I think of little that OS/2 promises that you can't do
with UNIX; and now that American Management Systems has developed the
long-mythical user-friendly UNIX shell, who knows ?
	However, UNIX isn't going anywhere without a major backer. The
obvious major backer is AT&T, a company with deep pockets, brilliant
engineers and designers, and a monopolist's attitude toward marketing.
Think how different the world would have been it, a few years ago, AT&T
had bought Apple Computer for its marketing savvy.
	At one meeting someone wryly observed that if AT&T would
copy-protect System V UNIX, within 6 months it would be so widespread that
nothing would be able to stop it.
	Actually, I suppose the most probably outcome is that a year after
OS/2 comes out, there will be as many OS/2 users as UNIX users, after
which both will continue in parallel and and without actually competing.
UNIX is growing slowly, and OS/2 charging ahead; but while that's the
probable event, it's by no means inevitable. After all, the main objection
to UNIX was that it's too big and too slow - and that applies just as
strongly to OS/2."

	Now, see, all these weenies and office managers who read BYTE take
Jerry as gospel truth... I wish he'd go back to cheap sci-fi.

--mjr();
--
Once, there was NO fun...
This was before MENU planning, FASHION statements or NAUTILUS equipment...