From: RWS@ZERMATT.LCS.MIT.EDU (Robert Scheifler)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: X Conference Information
Date: 19 Dec 87 20:25:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Since I've been having trouble reaching all registrants by direct mail
paths, I'm also sending the agenda to this list.  Anyone not yet
registered who wants to do so should send mail to
xconference@zermatt.lcs.mit.edu giving name, postal address, phone
number, and which if any of the tutorials you want to attend.  The
conference is (still, as of this writing) free.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 13

    9:00-12:15
    Room 26-100
    Tutorial: Introduction to Programming the X Window System with Xlib
    Suggested reading:
	"The X Window System,"
	ACM Transactions on Graphics, Vol 5, No. 2, April 1986, pp79-109
	Scheifler and Gettys

	"A Simple X11 Client Program, or,
	How hard can it really be to write `Hello, World'?"
	David Rosenthal (if you don't have a copy, send a message with
	subject "send etc hw" and empty body to xstuff@apx.lcs.mit.edu)

	Perhaps browse parts of
	Xlib: C Language X Interface (Gettys, Newman, Scheifler).

	Perhaps a text on raster graphics, such as Foley and Van Dam or
	Newman and Sproull.

    13:45-17:00
    Room 26-100
    Tutorial: The Xtk Toolkit
    Suggested reading:
	everything for the above tutorial (plus good familiarity with Xlib)

	nodding familiarity with concepts of object-oriented programming

	Perhaps attempt to read
	X Toolkit Library - C Language Interface (Xtk Intrinsics)

    19:30-21:30
    Room 10-250
    Organizational Meeting: X Users Group

THURSDAY, JANUARY 14

    08:30-12:35
    Kresge Auditorium
    Talks
	Shared X: X In A Distributed Group Work Environment (HP)
	Integrating X Into A Multi Window-System Environment (Apollo)
	Implementation Experiences With X11 On A High Performance Workstation (DEC)
	The BE2 (Andrew) Toolkit (CMU)
	A User Interface Editor for the X Window System (DEC)
	A Rapid Prototyping System Using The Xtk Toolkit (CMU)
	Pickling Widgets - Some Extensible Enhancements For The Xtk Toolkit (Masscomp)

    12:35-14:00
    Lunch

    14:00-16:05
    Kresge Auditorium
    Talks
	SWIFT: SPS WIndow Facility Toolbox (TRW)
	Counterpoint: A Reasoning Based Graphics Toolkit (AT&T Bell Labs)
	An HP Widget Set For The X Toolkit (HP)
	Digital's Xtoolkit Extensions (DEC)

    16:10-18:00
    rooms to be announced
    Birds Of a Feather sessions
	Xtk Toolkit
	Server Implementors
	Computer Conferencing
	Documentation
	X and Ada
	Image Processing
	PostScript And Display PostScript
	UIMSes Versus Toolkits

FRIDAY, JANUARY 15

    08:30-10:05
    Kresge Auditorium
    Talks
	Testing And Validation (X Testing Consortium)
	X3D-PEX Extension (PEX Architecture Team)

    10:30-12:00
    rooms to be announced
    Birds Of a Feather sessions
	BE2 Toolkit
	Window Managers
	X Servers On Diskless Terminals
	X and Lisp
	International And Internationalization Concerns
	3D
	Video
	Testing And Validation
	Fonts

    12:00-13:20
    Lunch

    13:20-16:00
    Kresge Auditorium
    Talks
	Live Video In X (Parallax Graphics)
	The X11/NeWS Server: a Design Overview (Sun)
	The Siemens RTL Tiled Window Manager (Siemens)
	Window Managers in X11 (DEC)
	The MIT X Consortium (MIT)

Here is an approximate map of the area (not to scale).  The numbers (10,
26, 34, 36, 38) are MIT building numbers.

                   \   \                                       \   \
                    \   \                                        \ M \
                     \   \                                         \ A \
                      \   \                                          \ I \
                       \   \                                           \ N \
                        \   \                                            \   \
                         \   \                                             \ S \
                          \   \                                              \ T \
                           \   \                                               \ R \
                            \   \                                                \ E \
                             \   \                                                 \ E \
                              \   \                                                  \ T \
--------------------------------   ----------------------------------------------------\   \
                                          VASSAR STREET
--------------------------------   -------------------------------------------------------
                               |   |                          -----------
                               |   |              ------------           |
                               | M |              |  FAIRCHILD BUILDING  |
                               | A |              |       ----|    36    |
                               | S |              |  38   |34 -----------
                               | S |              ------------|     ---| |
                               | A |                                |    |
              STUDENT          | C |                                |    |
              CENTER           | H |                                |    |
                               | U |                                |    |
                               | S |                                |    --------
                               | E |                                |           |
                               | T |                                |  26-100   |
                               | T |                                |           |
                               | S |                                -------------
                               |   |          ---------
                               | A |          | 10-250|
                               | V |    ------|2nd flr|----
     KRESGE                    | E |77 Mass Ave.
   AUDITORIUM                  | N |    ---| |---------------
                               | U |
                               | E |
|------------------------------|   |