From: h...@uvacs.CS.VIRGINIA.EDU (Harry S. Delugach)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac,comp.text
Subject: Dissertation on a MAC vs UNIX
Date: 2 Apr 88 22:18:54 GMT

I am soon to begin the production of a large, technical document (namely
my Ph.D. dissertation). All my previous technical documents have been
produced using the UNIX troff family, including bib, eqn, pic, etc.
I also use the -me macros to produce camera-ready citations, index,
table of contents, table of figures, etc.

I recently acquired a Macintosh SE, so I am now contemplating where would
be the best machine on which to work.  I am concerned here only with the
document processing, not any simulation or software development tools which
I might need for the actual research.

Is there any Mac software that matches the functionality of *troff
and family? Does anyone out there regularly use embedded citations
which are gathered at the end of a document? How about footnotes?
Does it work for a large document (approx 200 double-spaced pages)?
What are the pros and cons of either?
--
Harry S. Delugach   University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
                    UUCP: ..!uunet!virginia!uvacs!hsd