From: malp...@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Subject: Re: Emacs and VI Editors Wanted for MS-DOS
Date: 6 Sep 88 17:30:17 GMT

For the September 1986 issue of "IEEE Software", (p.55) I wrote a very
enthusiastic review of "PC/VI" from Custom Software Systems in Natick,
Mass.  I've not tried hard, but have lost touch with CSS, the folks who
wrote/distributed it ($150 for a FULL implementation of vi).  If
there's any interest out there, I'll try to chase them down and post
the current status of the product, which was the answer to my prayers.
Obviously, if anybody out there knows the status, you can save me the
trouble.
     In the review, I point out:
  1.  "...editor preference is something of a religious issue...."
We should stop trying to persuade each other that one is THE BEST.
  2.  "Although vi is frequently accused of being hard to learn, much
of the blame for this lies with the really lousy documentation
available to most Unix users.  CSS's manual goes a long way to making
vi easily self-taught."  When people at work want to know more about
generic vi, I lend them my PC/VI manual.
  3.  "Like most of today's good editors, vi has a rich command
repertoire.  But unlike many editors, it allows basic everyday
editing to be done with a very small subset - and most of those
commands have reasonable mnemonic significance.  Furthermore, the
formidable command list contains many synonyms, so your personal subset
need not contain everything."
     The reason the review, something of a quick vi tutorial, is three
full pages in length is that I tried hard to show WHY vi is not as
complicated as it initially looks if one understands the very basic
rules or philosophy.  If you feel in your bones that vi is for you but
you've been having a hard time, I strongly suggest you get a copy of
the review and see if the simplicity rubs off on you.  If you can't get
a copy, I'll ask IEEE Software whether I am allowed to E-mail you a
copy of the file as it was submitted to them.

--
Don Malpass   [malp...@LL-vlsi.arpa],  [malp...@spenser.ll.mit.edu]
  My opinions are seldom shared by MIT Lincoln Lab, my actual

>For the September 1986 issue of "IEEE Software", (p.55) I wrote a very
>enthusiastic review of "PC/VI" from Custom Software Systems in Natick,
>Mass.  I've not tried hard, but have lost touch with CSS, the folks who
>wrote/distributed it ($150 for a FULL implementation of vi).  If
>there's any interest out there, I'll try to chase them down and post
>the current status of the product, which was the answer to my prayers.
>Obviously, if anybody out there knows the status, you can save me the
>trouble.

PC/VI is available from Custom Software Systems
			P.O Box 678
			Natick, MA 01760
			(617) 653-2555

They also have a suite of Unix-like tools for MS-DOS (PC/TOOLS).  I have
been using both PC/VI and PC/TOOLS for about a year now, and am quite
happy with them.  I believe that the tools cost $49.

I speak only as a (VERY) satisfied customer.

Greg Yachuk		Informix Software Inc., Menlo Park, CA	(415) 322-4100
{uunet,pyramid}!infmx!greggy		why yes, I DID choose that login myself

>For the September 1986 issue of "IEEE Software", (p.55) I wrote a very
>enthusiastic review of "PC/VI" from Custom Software Systems in Natick,
>Mass.  I've not tried hard, but have lost touch with CSS, the folks who
>wrote/distributed it ($150 for a FULL implementation of vi).  If
>there's any interest out there, I'll try to chase them down and post
>the current status of the product, which was the answer to my prayers.
>Obviously, if anybody out there knows the status, you can save me the
>trouble.
Some time ago, the folks at the C Users Group printed a small article about
Custom Software Systems.  If I get this wrong and someone notices the mistake,
please let me know.  I believe that PC/VI has been withdrawn from the market
and will no longer be updated or supported.  Thus, if you find some mail order
house that has a copy, you should be able to get a copy for a GREATLY
reduced price.  Apparently, their product had some AT&T code in it (or AT&T
thought it did) and they asked CSS to stop selling the product.  CSS, instead
of changing the product, apparently just gave up.
--
  In real life: Mark E. Davidson       uflorida!novavax!proxftl!markd
  Proximity Technology Inc., 3511 NE 22nd Ave, Ft. Lauderdale FL, 33308

From: wa...@teemc.UUCP (//ichael R. //ayne)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: 11 Sep 88 06:17:32 GMT

In article <4...@infmx.UUCP> gre...@infmx.UUCP (greg yachuk) writes:

>PC/VI is available from Custom Software Systems
>			P.O Box 678
>			Natick, MA 01760
>			(617) 653-2555

	I am under the impression that they no longer may sell any of these
tools since they were based upon AT&T source code and the company did not
purchase a Unix source license.  I am further under the impression that there
was a monetary settlement between the companies.  I would like to be wrong
but have been unable to contact the company for quite some time.

/\/\ \/\/
--
Michael R. Wayne      ---      TMC & Associates      ---      wa...@teemc.uucp
INTERNET: wayne%teemc.u...@umix.cc.umich.edu            uunet!umix!teemc!wayne

From: malp...@vlsi.ll.mit.edu (Don Malpass)
Newsgroups: comp.editors
Date: 14 Sep 88 15:12:18 GMT

In article <6...@teemc.UUCP> wa...@teemc.UUCP (/\/\ichael R. \/\/ayne) writes:

>>PC/VI is available from Custom Software Systems
>>			P.O Box 678 ,Natick, MA 01760,(617) 653-2555
>
> ....  I would like to be wrong
>but have been unable to contact the company for quite some time.

This has been my experience too.  Too bad - they had good stuff, and
they were working on a FULL c-shell to replace command.com for
dos machines.  I like the shareware almost-csh that I use, but
it does have some bugs I'd like to have fixed.