From: rmy...@net1.ucsd.edu (Robert Myers)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: Ultrix 3.0 - how and when?
Date: 26 Aug 88 14:46:53 GMT
Sender: info-ult...@felix.UUCP
Reply-Path:

I just read in the August 15 issue of "digital review", front page,
that "Later this month, DEC is scheduled to release a new version of
its Ultrix operating system ..."

Of course I immediately called a DEC sales department, only to hear
the person on the other end say, "What's Ultrix?."  Fine, I called
a VMS oriented sales department, no problem.  Now this IS NOT meant
as a flame, what I really want to know is who I should call to get
pricing and availability information.

Is there anyone out there associated with DEC, or someone else "in
the know" that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Robert Myers
INTERNET: rmyers%n...@ucsd.edu

[

I can answer this one.  Ultrix v3.0 (known as v2.4 in a previous
life) was announced earlier this week.  Following is some
information circulated internally describing it.  I am trying to
get a machine readable copy of the SPD.  If I succeed, I'll post
that, too.

    -- Art Z.

ULTRIX-32 Version 3.0                                         PAGE 2

ULTRIX-32 is a major new release that adds support for new devices and
systems and complies with all major industry standards including POSIX
(IEEE 1003.1) and the Level 0 Application Environment Specification (AES)
issued by the Open Software Foundation.

Key Features:

o  compliance with the following industry standards:

   - Open Software Foundation (OSF) Application Environment Specification,
     Level 0
   - IEEE 1003.1 (POSIX)
   - X/Open Common Application Environment as defined in the X/Open
     Portability Guide, XPG2
   - The Operating System FIPS recently submitted by the National Bureau of
     Standards
   - X Window System Version 11
   - System V Interface Definition (SVID) Release II, Volume I

o  NFS Clusters
   - Total of 16 devices (VAX CPUs and HSC 70s)
     Example:  several VAX CPUs, 1 HSC70 with 32 RA90 disk drives providing
     a data base of over 38 gigabytes
  -  Communication over a dual path 70 megabit link with NFS protocols
  -  CI Port Class Driver Support

o The addition of Berkeley 4.3BSD features including the BIND Name Domain
  Server
o Support of the VAX 6210/6220, VAX 8810/8820
o Communiation software under TCP/IP, NFS, IBM 2780/3780 Remote Job Entry
  emulation and the LAT/Telnet Gateway
o VAX C for ULTRIX Systems
o Over 200 commands and utilities

Available products include:

 - VAX Fortran for ULTRIX Systems
 - VAX LISP for ULTRIX Systems
 - Over 1,000 third-party products
 - DECnet-SNA ULTRIX 3270 Terminal Emulator

Deliveries begin in the Fall of 1988.

DECnet-ULTRIX V3.0                                                    PAGE 3

DECnet-ULTRIX software enables communication among networked systems from
Digital that use the DNA Phase III/IV protocols and systems from other
vendors that use the Internet (TCP/IP) protocols.  Thus, an ULTRIX System
will serve as a gateway between DECnet/OSI and TCP/IP-based networks.

Key features:

- task-to-task communications, network virtual terminal, remote file
  transfer, mail, network-wide resource sharing and management as defined by
  DNA protocols.

- the functionality needed to provide a DECnet-Internet Gateway for
  semi-transparent, bi-directional access between DECnet and Internet (TCP/IP)
  systems

- DECnet Phase IV end-node implementation of Digital Network Architecture
  (DNA) for both the ULTRIX-32 operating system and ULTRIX Worksystem Software

Deliveries begin in the fall of 1988.

VMS/ULTRIX Connection V1.0

This is a VMS layered software product that provides VMS services to UNIX
clients.  This product includes the Internet (TCP/IP) networking
protocols running on VMS and the Network File System (NFS) server software
running on VMS.  The importance of this product is that it allows any single
VMS system or a large VAXcluster system to act as an NFS server to a large
number of UNIX-based workstations.  For the first time Digital provides
UNIX-based workstations with access to the high availability data management
features of a VAXcluster system such as shadowing.

Key Features: V1.0 support

- Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)
- Internet Protocol (IP)
- User Datagram Protocol (UDP)
- Address Resolution Protocol (ARP)
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP)

Future versions will support mail (SMTP) and remote login (Telnet)
protocols.

Prerequesite Software required:

- For the VMS server, VMS 4.7 or V5.0, or MicroVMS V4.7
- For the UNIX client, any UNIX-based system which supports NFS V2.0 and the
  networking protocols specified by the DDN (Defense Data Network) RFCs,
  including ULTRIX-32 V2.2 or later and ULTRIX Worksystem Software V1.1 or
  later.

Deliveries begin in the fall of 1988.

ULTRIX Mail Connection V1.0                                      PAGE 4

This product enables ULTRIX systems to directly access Digital's MAILbus via
the VMS Message Router.  This provides access to all MAILbus gateways and
supported user agents.  ULTRIX mail Connection V1 also provides an enhanced
ULTRIX Mail user agent and transfer agent.  This product allows users to
exchange mail with mail users under the following mail systems and gateways:

- All-In-1
- VMS Mail
- The IBM gateway knowns as MR/S, or SNADS
- The IBM gateway known as MR/P, or Profs
- The X.400 gateway

Prerequesite software:

- For the ULTRIX system, ULTRIX-32 V2.2 or later or ULTRIX Worksstem
  Software V1.1 or later version.  Either operating system must include
  DECnet-ULTRIX V2.2 or later version

- The VMS system must include VMS Message Router V3 or later version

Deliveries begin in the fall of 1988.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  -- Art Z.
]