From: m20...@mwvm.mitre.org (Paul Hargrove)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.questions
Subject: RE: a word-processor for UNIX
Date: 20 Jul 89 21:14:59 GMT
Sender: n...@adm.BRL.MIL

     I must say this has been a very heated discussion, and now I am ready to
put in my two bits.

     It seems to me that the most important piece of information lacking for a
good answer to the original question is: "what do _you_ mean by word
processor?  "

    It is important to note that different people have a different opinion of
what, to them, is truly a word processor.  Their are those who prefer WYSIWYG
and those who like the ability to just type the @#%!&* text in as fast as they
can think it up, and then use the *roff utilities to do the formatting as a
separate train of thought.  I personally am not big on vi or ed, but find most
of the WYSIWYG programs to be too slow redrawing the text after a more than
minor change... but I am digressing, my opinion is not really important.

     What is really important is what _YOU_ want in a 'word_processor', and I
think whatever it is _YOU_ want, you can find it for either *NIX or for a PC.
And I am sure any of you out there can manage to "put up with" MS-DOS for long
enough to start-up a WP program and print it out.

THE BOTTOM LINE:
                         EACH TO HIS OWN

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed here-in are, in fact, shared by other
sentient beings, but I must withhold their names to protect the innocent.
.lf NOTE
*
*        Paul