From: tb...@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray)
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Unix Filesystem Benchmark Results (long)
Date: 13 May 90 16:58:10 GMT
Sender: dae...@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Owner of Many System Processes)

Howdy folks.  We've been hacking text databases here on the New OED project
for years, and have been disappointed at the performance of Unix filesystems
in general, and also at the tools available for measuring that performance.

So I wrote a program to address this need.  It fails to meet the SPEC
criterion of being real working code that does something useful, but it does
produce very interesting numbers, most of which I believe.

This posting includes a summary of the results of running the benchmark on all
the machines I could get my hands on, some subjective commentary, and the
source code for the benchmark, the comments in which should be read by
everyone before beginning to think about believing these numbers.

Cheers, Tim Bray, Open Text Systems, Waterloo, Ont.

           -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential Input-- --Random-
           -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block--- --Seeks--
           K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU /sec %CPU

DEC 5810     330 73.6   690 62.8   195 29.0   274 61.6   649 45.9 27.7  4.9
             434 92.7   732 63.3   206 29.2   382 80.7   701 47.6 34.3  5.1
             418 88.1   718 65.0   196 28.7   386 81.7   744 52.3 27.1  5.8

MipsM/2K     316 35.2   381  8.8   302 11.4   611 67.9  1369 27.4 28.5  1.2
             345 38.1   435 10.0   226  8.8   399 44.1   876 17.3 21.3  1.3
             362 40.0   440 10.5   371 15.0   785 89.1  1762 37.3 26.4  1.8

NeXT         243 92.0   352 48.8   210 38.9   217 95.0   782 72.4 28.4 12.7
             243 92.9   360 50.0   216 40.7   251 95.8   773 71.4 28.7 14.3
             245 93.1   346 48.2   215 40.3   218 95.7   777 71.3 26.7 13.7

Seq.Symm.    178 99.1   951 90.7   307 48.1   151 95.7   694 57.2 35.6  6.6
             176 98.2   926 85.8   285 43.4   150 95.4   655 51.5 33.4  6.7

VAX 8650     197 81.7   262 22.3   116 14.1   255 81.5   434 16.6 22.1  2.5
             186 77.7   214 18.6    99 12.7   144 46.9   361 15.1 16.8  2.2

Sun 4/260    298 83.2   791 58.2   296 26.3   312 94.5   840 44.8 ****
             328 92.6   796 59.7   288 26.4   298 91.2   726 39.7 ****

386          229 91.9   241 27.5   207 46.4   209 91.9   437 56.0 34.4  7.0

IBM R 6000   654 89.0  1178 22.6   434 13.1   750 94.2  1539 20.9 39.6  3.0
             712 96.5  1258 24.1   444 13.4   727 91.3  1546 21.7 33.7  2.3

Commentary: feel free to disbelieve

DEC 5810: Ultrix 3.1C-0 (Rev 42), 1.2G filesystem on disk, 91% full.
 The R2000 in here is slower than the R3000 in the Mips M/2K, but the
 I/O rates are competitive; however this box has to burn more CPU to
 achieve those rates.  Note that block input and output are about the
 same speed, making it slower than the MIPS on input but faster on
 output.

Mips M/2000: UMIPS 4.0, 564M filesystem on MIPS disk, 83% full.
 This is a very fast CPU, and it shows in the %CPU columns.  The
 block-mode input number is very good - over 1.25 effective
 megabytes/sec off the disk.  Note the block-in vs. block-out anomaly
 with respect to the DEC machine.  Also, the seeks/sec. are unexciting.

NeXT: SW Version 1.0, 446M filesystem on NeXT HD, 82% full.
 One of the slower CPUs in the crowd, and it shows.  Given its price
 relative to some of these other boxes, this is excellent performance;
 the NeXT is supposed to have fancy DMAs.  Didn't have an optical I
 could write on, but that would be very interesting.

Sequent: 10 386 processors, Dynix 3.0.17.9, 564M filesystem, 82% full.
 The individual processors in here are fairly-slow 386es, and that shows
 in the %CPU column.  But burning 100% of a 386 to do the filesystem and
 leaving the other 9 to do useful work seems smart to me.  The block I/O
 throughput and in particular the seeks/second are very good.  Looks
 like a good database machine.

VAX 8650: 4.3bsd, 584M filesystem on CDC Wren VI on UDA, 33% full.
 Well, the myth of VAX as good I/O machine seems to be biting the dust
 here.  An 8650 is a pretty fast CPU, and has an elaborate I/O
 architecture.  There must be a bottleneck here - candidates are the
 UDA, the Unibus, and 4.3bsd.  Note the %CPU figures are very
 low, which may just be a result of the I/O being so slow, or some CISC
 artifact.  It's even slow at seeking.  Seven years ago, we used to have
 some 780s with RP07's on MASSBUSes - I wouldn't be surprised if they
 measured faster than this.

Sun 4/260: SunOS 4.0.3, 526M filesystem on Fuji M2344, 87% full.
 Not bad, consistently in the top half.  Some of the speed seems to be
 purchased by burning CPU - the %CPU figures are quite high.  Couldn't
 get meaningful numbers on seeks/sec because we don't have the disk
 space to spare.  With 32M of memory, operating on a 50M file, the
 caching drove the seeks/sec up over 60.

386: 20 MHz AMI motherboard, 386/ix V2.0.2, 180M filesys on MaxStor ESDI
     disk, 51% full.
 I think this is pretty damn good performance for a machine which is
 an order of magnitude less in cost than some of the other boxes here.
 In particular, its random I/O performance seems to rival that of the
 big RISC chips, both the DEC and MIPS implementations (8M memory for a
 50M file, so it ain't caching much).  The scuttlebutt says that these
 can be made still faster using caching controllers.

IBM R6000, Beta Test AIX, 450M filesystem on "Cheap SCSI", 34% full.
 Was never able to run the tests on an idle system, something was
 burning CPU all the time, if vmstat(1) is to be believed, but I
 couldn't find a candidate using ps(1) - except perhaps something called
 "kproc", but that sounds like a fake kernel task.  Also, there was only
 about 50 Mb free on the filesystem, so the sysadmin did something with
 "logical volumes" and the "chfs(1)" command then the filesys was 250M
 bigger - might this be muddying the waters?  A test run before the chfs
 showed *unbelievable* rates, like 5+ Mb system coming off the filesys
 using read(2).  Anyhow, the conclusion is  clear - this puppy is an
 I/O monster.

Code

>		[in an article listing lots of file system benchmarks]
> 386: 20 MHz AMI motherboard, 386/ix V2.0.2, 180M filesys on MaxStor ESDI
>      disk, 51% full.
>  I think this is pretty damn good performance for a machine which is
>  an order of magnitude less in cost than some of the other boxes here.
>  In particular, its random I/O performance seems to rival that of the
>  big RISC chips, both the DEC and MIPS implementations (8M memory for a
>  50M file, so it ain't caching much).  The scuttlebutt says that these
>  can be made still faster using caching controllers.

Mene, mene, tekel, uparshin! This is why the `workstation' market as we've
known it is doomed -- these machines are getting better faster than the
Suns and HPs and Irises out there, they run more software, and they're *much*
cheaper. No one will survive the attack of the killer LOW END micros!
--
      Eric S. Raymond = ...!uunet!snark!eric  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

>>		[in an article listing lots of file system benchmarks]
>> 386: 20 MHz AMI motherboard, 386/ix V2.0.2, 180M filesys on MaxStor ESDI
>>      disk, 51% full.
>>  I think this is pretty damn good performance for a machine which is
>>  an order of magnitude less in cost than some of the other boxes here.
>>  In particular, its random I/O performance seems to rival that of the
>>  big RISC chips, both the DEC and MIPS implementations (8M memory for a
>>  50M file, so it ain't caching much).  The scuttlebutt says that these
>>  can be made still faster using caching controllers.
>
>Mene, mene, tekel, uparshin! This is why the `workstation' market as we've
>known it is doomed -- these machines are getting better faster than the
>Suns and HPs and Irises out there, they run more software, and they're *much*
>cheaper. No one will survive the attack of the killer LOW END micros!
>--
>      Eric S. Raymond = ...!uunet!snark!eric  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

Yeah?  Price out the following (what I consider to be the minimal interesting
configuration):

486 (at least 25 Mhz)
8 megs
400 megs of disk (at least 500 KB / sec sustained throughput)
Ethernet
19 inch 1k x 1k BW monitor
Mouse
Unix (including networking, compilers, window system).

I suspect that you are well over $10K.  The last time I priced this stuff
I came up with about the same prices for similarly configured systems.
Now, if you don't want any memory, or window system, or networking...
---
What I say is my opinion.  I am not paid to speak for Sun, I'm paid to hack.
    Besides, I frequently read news when I'm drjhgunghc, err, um, drunk.
Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627       ...!sun!lm or l...@sun.com

> Yeah?  Price out the following (what I consider to be the minimal interesting
> configuration):
>
> 486 (at least 25 Mhz)
> 8 megs
> 400 megs of disk (at least 500 KB / sec sustained throughput)
> Ethernet
> 19 inch 1k x 1k BW monitor
> Mouse
> Unix (including networking, compilers, window system).
>
> I suspect that you are well over $10K.  The last time I priced this stuff
> I came up with about the same prices for similarly configured systems.
> Now, if you don't want any memory, or window system, or networking...

Well, here's an example from real life  (I ought to know, I bought the
thing)

Intel 401 (486@25, 8MB 80ns)	$ 7,550
Imprimis 94xxx-383 ESDI		  1,400
DPT MX3011/70 512KB caching cont.   800
WD 8003E (EtherCard Plus)	    200
Sony 16" 1kx768x16 (color) mon.     650
Paradise VGA			    200
Microsoft serial 2-button            50
SCO ODT 1.0                         900
				-------

				 11,750

OK, so the monitor isn't 19"  :-)

One could certainly shave hundreds off this configuration by using a stock
SCSI disk/controller pair, e.g. Adaptec 1542A w/ your favorite SCSI disk.

Is this "well over" $10,000?   Your guess.

At least we don't have to pay four-digit figures for maintenance, another
hidden cost of operation that hardly anyone mentions.  In the large
system world, this cost becomes overriding, to the point that entire
mainframe/supercomputers are scrapped in favor of newer models because
the maintenance cost alone justifies a new purchase.

Case in point, my local Sun rep is trying to push a $1,600 software
maintenance contract on me, for my two Sun 386i's.  I'd even buy it,
if SunOS on the 386i would continue to be developed.  My spies tell
me that 4.0.3 is the end;  4.1 doesn't support the 386i machine.  True?

Note, the costs above are certainly less than "retail" (whatever that
means), so Joe Homeuser couldn't get these prices.  Then again, he
couldn't get developer discounts on Suns, either  :-)

Rob