From: a...@ukc.ac.uk (Alan Ibbetson)
Newsgroups: uk.announce,eunet.newprod,uk.events
Subject: McKusick/Karels UNIX Internals Course September 1991
Date: 15 Oct 90 16:29:46 GMT

	4.3BSD UNIX Internals: Data Structures and Algorithms
	    Preliminary Announcement - Mark your Diaries.

This 5-day residential course will be held at the University of Kent,
Canterbury, England on 9th - 13th September 1991. The lecturers will be
Dr Marshall Kirk McKusick and Michael J. Karels from the University of
California at Berkeley. UKC has made a special effort to make the
course available to members of academic institutions at a price they
can afford: 500 pounds sterling including food and accommodation. It is
unlikely that we will ever be able to repeat this offer. Staff from
commercial sites are welcome to attend, but the price will be 1000 pounds.

For further details email a...@ukc.ac.uk or phone +44 227 764000 Ext 7616.

Who Should Take the Course
---------------------------
This course provides a broad overview of how the UNIX kernel provides
its basic services.  Individuals involved in technical support can
learn the capabilities and limitations of the system; applications
developers can learn how to effectively and efficiently interface to
the system; systems programmers without direct experience of the BSD
UNIX kernel can learn how to maintain, tune, and interface to such
systems. The course will place heavy emphasis on the installation and
operation of networks using 4.3BSD UNIX or derivatives. This course is
directed at users who have had at least a year of experience using the
UNIX system and the C programming language.  Students will not need a
source licence as actual source code will not be presented.

Topics Covered
--------------
Kernel Overview: terminology, basic kernel services, process structure.

Kernel Resource Management: memory management, paging and swapping,
scheduling, signals.

Kernel I/O structure: special files, line disciplines, multiplexing I/O,
autoconfiguration strategy, structure of a disk device driver.

File System Overview: file system services, block I/O system (buffer cache),
file system implementation, support for multiple filesystems in 4.3BSD-Reno,
Network File System (NFS)

System Tuning: performance measurement, system tuning, crash dump
analysis, security issues.

Interprocess Communication: concepts and terminology, basic IPC services,
example use of IPC and network facilities, Address Resolution Protocol
(ARP), routing strategies.

Networking Structure: development of TCP/IP for UNIX, Internet protocols
and addresses, OSI protocols, system layering, Changes in 4.3BSD Reno.

Network Management: network installation with 4.3BSD, routing issues and
implementation, testing and troubleshooting, domain name system.

4.3 Network Internals: system layers and interfaces, network data
structures, packet transmission and reception.

Other Networking Topics: TCP algorithms, other network protocol families,
future work at Berkeley.

4.3BSD UNIX Internals: Data Structures and Algorithms

Last call for participants.

This 5-day residential course will be held at the
University of Kent, Canterbury, England on 9th - 13th
September 1991. The lecturers will be Dr Marshall Kirk
McKusick and Michael J. Karels from the University of
California at Berkeley.

The cost for academics is 600 pounds.  We were charging
non-academics 1000 pounds, but the price has been reduced
to 800 pounds to soak up the last few college rooms we
have reserved.

For more details and a booking form mail a...@ukc.ac.uk
or phone 0227-764000 Ext 7620.