From: car...@point.UUCP (Carson Wilson)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
Subject: '386 Unix Wars
Date: 17 Dec 90 23:00:04 GMT

I'm trying to build an Intel 80386-based Unix machine for programming, and
am having a difficult time determining which of the various i386 Unix
vendors to support with my purchase.

As anyone shopping around for Unix system software soon discovers, there
is a war on.  At least two or three manufacturers are actively competing
for the desktop Unix market.  It appears that the Santa Cruz Operation
(SCO) has grabbed the largest piece of the market so far, but is facing
intensive competition from Interactive Systems Corporation.  AT&T and
Intel also market Unix software for the i386, but seem to be less
aggressive in pushing their product lines.

There is also a product named "Xenix."  Xenix was originally Microsoft's
tradename for its Unix clone.  The name has now been licensed to SCO and
probably other firms.  From what I understand, Xenix is a less
sophisticated, but also less expensive alternative to desktop Unix.  Xenix
lacks some of the capabilities of Unix, but requires only about 1/2 the
memory and disk storage Unix needs.  According to a salesperson at SCO,
though, Xenix is "on the way out" as a system standard.

I have generally found plenty of sales and support people who are happy to
"inform" me of the relative merits of their software over that of other
firms, but I haven't seen any discussion of this on Usenet.  I'd like to
know your views on:

1) Relative merits of Xenix vs. Unix.

2) Experiences of end users with SCO, Interactive, and other firms.

The i386 Unix market is evolving quite rapidly. I feel we should discuss
this topic far more actively while we still have a chance to determine the
direction desktop Unix will take.  If we allow market forces alone to
decide which standards succeed, we may be disappointed in the long run.

-Carson Wilson	[car...@point.UUCP]