From: tri...@aerodec.anu.edu.au (Andrew Tridgell)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.ultrix
Subject: bad blocks -> cpu panic
Date: 21 Dec 90 22:01:55 GMT

Hi,
	I've recently upgraded to Ultrix 4.0 on a DS3100. In doing so
two bad blocks reared their ugly heads on our RZ56 disk (in the g
partition /usr).
	Whenever the files on these sectors are looked at a "panic"
occurs and the machine reboots. This is now a happy state of affairs.
Even something as simple as "ls -s /usr/BAD" will cause a total shutdown
(I have moved the directory to /usr/BAD - I know it contains about 5
files of less than 1k each)
	Although I have isolated the directory and have locked it off from
casual users I would really like to fix the problem permanently. Will
rzdisk -r fix the problem? fsck gives me the block numbers (567664 and
567665 in case it matters) so I can use rzdisk but will this lead to
more problems in the future?

Thanks in advance for any help
Merry Christmas!

---