From: roell@informatik.tu-muenchen.de (Thomas Roell)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: X386 1.1
Date: 11 Feb 91 12:25:35 GMT

       Announcing Release 1.1 of the X386 SYSTEM V/386 X11R4 server.

FILES:

X386.tar.Z      The sources and patches neccessary to build the whole core
		MIT/X11R4 release. This will require over 80MBytes free disk
		space.

X11R4core.tar.Z	All binaries, libraries, etc. that are needed to get X11R4
		run on your 386box (except the fonts).

X11R4fonts.tar	All fonts, which should be installed to get X386 running.
		Note, that they don't have changed since X386 1.0, so you
		might not need them.

(all files are also available as splitted versions)

Totally space needed: 20 MBytes. (BUT IT IS absolutely worth every byte)

Where to get it: 131.159.8.35, anonymous-ftp, /pub/i386/X11R4

REQUIREMENTS:
X386 will run on following Unix operating systems:

	Interactive 386/ix, 2.0.2 or later
	ESIX

	SCO Unix (planned)

You must have installed the STREAMS facility and optional TCP/IP.

A lot of RAM !!! 4MBytes seem to be the absolute minimum. 8MBytes are strongly
recommended.

VGA boards with the following chipsets are supported:

	PVGA1A / PVGA1B 	(no, sorry ... maybe some day)
	ET3000			(for ex. GENOA 5300/5400)
	ET4000			(STB PWR Graph, Sigma Legend, etc.)
	GVGA			(Genoa 6400)

Mice that support one of the following communication standards:

	Microsoft serial	(Microsoft, various NoName ...)
	Mouse Systems serial	(Mouse Systems, ...)
	MMSeries		(Summa Mouse, ...)
	Logitech		(Logitech)
	Mircosoft Busmouse

FEATURES:

o  AT&T/ISC/SCO local and TCP/IP connections.

o  XView 2.0 Toolkit. With shared libs and sample clients.

o  REAL portable shared libs (X11, Xt, Xmu, Xaw , Xext, olgx & xview !!!)

o  The very first VGA server that is FULLY configurable.
   (see /usr/lib/X11/X386/Xconfig)

o  First UNIX/386 X-server that realises the 'PC/AT Keyboard proposal'.
   Including international keyboards (via ttymap(1))

o  Virtual terminal switching - with multible servers on different virtual
   terminals running at the same time.

o  Full use of installed video RAM through the concept of a virtual screen.
   (also called panning)

o  Switching between different display resolutions by keypress.

o  Online Manpages, along with xman, an X - application for online manual
   browsing.

CHANGES:

o  New shared libs. This means that you may delete the *.4.0 ones in
   /usr/lib/X11/shlib if NO clients needs them anymore. Otherwise, you should
   keep them installed.

o  Many changes in the directory structure.

o  Easier configuration (/usr/lib/X11/X386/etc/install.sh)

o  Uncountable internal changes & bugfixes

NOTES:
o  I will not write a driver for your VGA board that is not supported now,
   unless I have the data-book of this specific chipset and the same VGA in
   my 386box to test the driver. If you want to write the driver by your own,
   please contact me first, so that I can give you hints and further
   information.

o  This server may be added to commerical products. But it would be nice that
   in this case the company supports me with money or hardware to keep things
   on goning.

o  For questions, you can reach me via e-mail. Please post every request also
   via comp.unix.sysv386, so everybody can use the results of the question you
   had.

BENCHMARKS:
This are the results of the famous xbench, I got with the following equipment:

	33MHz 386 / no 387
	8 MBytes RAM
	CDC IV - SCSI - HD
	TRICOM VGA, ET4000, 1MB RAM

	640x480  1024x768  non-interlaced, 256 colors
	 25602     25503   lineStones
	  3063      2925   fillStones
	  2726      1615   blitStones
	250132    250132   arcStones
	 31625     31625   textStones
	  6339      4705   complexStones
	  6311      4728   xStones
E-Mail (domain):	 roell@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.de
UUCP (if above fails):   roell@tumult.{uucp | informatik.tu-muenchen.de}
famous last words: "diskspace - the final frontier..."