From: p...@cs.wwu.EDU (Phil Nelson)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.nsc.32k
Subject: Is MINIX on the PC532 dead?
Date: 13 Jun 91 22:52:29 GMT
Sender: n...@daver.bungi.com (Network News)

   From: k...@ditka.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

   I can't speak for anyone else but I've pretty much lost interest.

I'm sorry to hear that!

   For example, when the ksh clone was posted I thought, "great!"  But
   after wasting a few hours I came to realize that I also need ESTDIO to
   get ksh working.  So, the next day I grudgingly went on a scavenger
   hunt to find this piece, and eventually got it on my machine.  Then I
   tried to build it and found I needed to fiddle a bit.  At that point I
   gave up, partly lack of time, partly lack of interest.

I hope that this ksh experience did not cause you ignore the minix 1.5 hybrid
distribution.

   whole thing in source form is an attraction.  But I'd rather not be
   *forced* into this mold -- give me binaries or at least sources that
   will build with little more than a few, well documented config
   changes.  ....

I think you should find minix 1.5h in this class.  Granted, we
didn't distribute binaries for 1.5h, but it should be very easy to
upgrade a working 1.3 to 1.5h.  I even supplied binaries for gcc (cc1 etc)
and for patch that would make the conversion to 1.5h work better.

   For now, my pc532 sits idle, mostly waiting for something to shake
   loose on the Unix front, while I spend my time more productively.

Again, I'm sorry to hear that your pc532 sits idle.  Mine is running
minix 1.5h 24 hours/day and I can dial it from wwu, call wwu from the
machine, etc...  In fact, I'm about ready to post a clone of bc that
is POSIX compatable and is better in several ways than the original
UNIX bc.  MOST of the development of it was done on my pc532 using
minix 1.5h.  I haven't taken the time to get uucp working yet due to
other more interesting things.  With the pc532 and minix 1.5h I finally
have what I have wanted for quite a while, a low cost, home built,
UNIX box!  Sometimes is is hard to remember I'm working on Minix instead
of a BSD or SYSV box.

OK, I'll shut up now!  But my answer to the original question .....

   No way is minix dead!

--Phil

p.s. By the way, the following is my list of people running minix 1.5h.

This is a list of people known to be using minix 1.5h on their pc532s.
Minix 1.5h is also knows as the 1.5 hybrid.  Some of these have added
things to the 1.5h version.

 Who              email

 Bruce Culbertson <culbe...@hplwbc.hpl.hp.com>
 Sverre Froyen    <sve...@lars.Seri.GOV>