From: a...@soda.berkeley.edu (Adam J. Richter)
Newsgroups: comp.archives.admin
Subject: What is being excluded from comp.archives
Date: 9 Aug 91 10:26:43 GMT
Sender: use...@agate.berkeley.edu (USENET Administrator)

	This posting describes the classes of otherwise qualified
articles that I am not posting to comp.archives, and explains why.

	I am not scanning the Apple/Macintosh newsgroups or
comp.os.coherent (the newsgroup for Mark Williams Company's
Coherent operating system).  Posting ftp pointers on these products
might contribute to the usefulness of Macintosh hardware or the
Coherent Operating System, and could possibly result in somebody
buying one of these products, which would, in turn, help fund
efforts to make it illegal for me to write many kinds of programs.
There are other parties who are also attempting to restrict computer
programming, but Apple and MWC are particularly nefarious offenders,
and there are other boycott efforts underway against both Apple and
MWC, which makes it especially important that I not negate those efforts.

	Please don't post articles about Mac and Coherent users
being collateral victims, as that my volunteering to provide a
service for the non-Mac and non-MWC users does not actually worsen
the lot of Mac users or MWC users in absolute terms.  Also, note that
I am scanning the articles from these ignored newsgroups that are
cross-posted to other newsgroups.  If you feel strongly that
these newsgroups should be scanned, I am quite willing to send you
the regular expression describing the newsgroups that are being
ignored so that you can arrange to scan the articles that have been
posted exclusively to those groups and to post them to comp.archives.

	For the time being, I am attempting to post information only
on non-proprietary software.  I am trying to determine the
appropriate fee structure and forum for announcements of proprietary
software.  In order to avoid sending other people's commercial advertising
to sites that don't agree to it, and in order to be sure that the
main usenet hierarchies can be carried on NSFNet, proprietary software
announcements should probably be carried on some other hierarchy such
as "biz", "clarinet", or "msen."  I think that Ed's vision of value-added
proprietary news services might be an appropriate forum for proprietary
announcements.

Adam J. Richter			a...@soda.berkeley.edu
409 Evelyn Avenue, Apt. 312	....!ucbvax!soda!adam
Albany, CA 94706		Home: (415)528-3209

:       I am not scanning the Apple/Macintosh newsgroups or
: comp.os.coherent (the newsgroup for Mark Williams Company's
: Coherent operating system).  Posting ftp pointers on these products
: might contribute to the usefulness of Macintosh hardware or the
: Coherent Operating System, and could possibly result in somebody
: buying one of these products, which would, in turn, help fund
: efforts to make it illegal for me to write many kinds of programs.

As the original moderator of comp.archives, I strongly recommend
that Mr. Richter be forbidden to post to comp.archives until he
decides that it is not the proper place for political statements.
There is a hierarchy for that kind of nonsense; comp is not it.

I happen to find Apple's and MW's actions reprehensible, but I
strongly disagree with any attempt to use the regular Usenet for
political purposes unless those purposes are within the charter
of the particular newsgroups.

---
Bill                            { uunet | decwrl | telesci }!twwells!bill
b...@twwells.com