From: egg...@twinsun.com (Paul Eggert)
Newsgroups: comp.os.vms
Subject: Will VMS Posix support the Posix system API?
Date: 13 Nov 91 05:12:31 GMT
Sender: use...@twinsun.com

Monday's _Unix Today!_ (p. 74) said that VMS Posix will ship in 1Q 1992, and
that it has been added to VMS 5.5 in the form of DECthreads, with an interface
compliant with Posix 1003.4A.  This surprises me, because (1) as far as I know
1003.4A isn't really a standard yet, and (2) 1003.4A (which covers
threads, aka lightweight processes) is really just a small part of Posix.

I hope that VMS Posix would at least comply with Posix 1003.1 (the system API),
which is the core part of Posix and is the only official Posix standard so far.
I find it hard to believe that _Unix Today!_ accurately reported DEC's
announcement, because if so DEC would be saying they support Posix when they
really support just a small part of it.

The reason I'm asking this question is that I want to distribute source code to
a Posix-compliant application, and I'm wondering what percentage of DEC's
supported VMS customers will be able to run such an application by, say,
six months, a year, or two years from now.

>I hope that VMS Posix would at least comply with Posix 1003.1 (the system API),
>which is the core part of Posix and is the only official Posix standard so far.
>I find it hard to believe that _Unix Today!_ accurately reported DEC's
>announcement, because if so DEC would be saying they support Posix when they
>really support just a small part of it.

VMS POSIX will support 1003.1, 1003.2 D10 and 1003.4D9 in V1.

--
Bill Parke
VMS Development			decwrl!star.enet.dec.com!parke

The views expressed are my own.