From: d86-...@dront.nada.kth.se (E Magnus Hulthen)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun.misc
Subject: Solaris 2.0 and C libraries
Date: 5 Jan 92 14:57:15 GMT
Sender: n...@nada.kth.se (Mr News)

I've seen a lot of discussion about the Sun removing the C compiler from
Solaris 2.0. However I haven't seen if the C libraries will be removed as
well. Does anybody know if that is the case?

The way I see it is that if the libraries remain there wont be any problem
at all since the GNU C compiler is good enough. The 2.0 version of GNU C
will be even better than the Sun C compiler (allegedly :-). The only problem
with the GNU compiler and Sun libraries are the structure passing conventions
which are currently incompatible.

Anyway with the OS wars breaking out in 92 I think that Sun will have to be
a bit careful about alienating its customers. Who knows we might be running
NeXT Step on out SPARC stations by 93 :-).

					d86-...@nada.kth.se, Magnus Hulthen