From: root@UUCP (Superuser)
Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Subject: 386
Date: 15 May 92 05:26:48 GMT
Sender: news@UUCP (GNEWS Version 2.0 news poster.)

just thought if another question. will the 386 kernel handle 19200 baud
file transfers?

------
                               (Jeff Torgerson) Renton,WA. U.S.A.

                                         ..uunet!polari!gornem!tj

" A Wise Man Addmits His Mistakes "
" A Foolish Man Defends Them"

From: rdk...@CSEMAIL.CROPSCI.NCSU.EDU ("R. D. Keys")
Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Subject: Re: 386
Date: 18 May 92 15:11:00 GMT
Sender: dae...@presto.ig.com

To whom it may concern....

I am a professor at NCSU, and am considering upgrading a 386 box here from
dos to an experimental ethernet compatible ftpable internet site.

I have heard that Coherent has finally moved up out of the olden 286 days,
and might be workable in such a box.  I have no need for more than one or
two users, plus ftp/telnet capability under ethernet.  I would like to
install TeX/LaTeX and assorted other more or less public utilities.

My choices for os currently are 1) linux, 2) 386BSD, or 3) possibly
Coherent.  Linux is still a bit too unsettled to work up, YET.
386BSD is too buggy, but may be ok in a few months.  Convince me that
Coherent will or will not do what I have listed above as a minimal
internet site.

Also, send me any appropriate literature, as you feel may be of interest.

I assume that you might do business with a university, but are there any
particular hangups in your billing/paperwork, that I would need to pass on
to our bookkeeper.

Thanks...

R.D. Keys, Assoc. Professor, Seed Research,
Deptarment of Crop Science,
P.O. Box 7620,
4411 Willams Hall,
North Carolina State University,
Raleigh, NC 27695-7620.

tel:(919)515-3267.

>I am a professor at NCSU, and am considering upgrading a 386 box here from
>dos to an experimental ethernet compatible ftpable internet site.
>
>I have heard that Coherent has finally moved up out of the olden 286 days,
>and might be workable in such a box.  I have no need for more than one or
>two users, plus ftp/telnet capability under ethernet.  I would like to
>install TeX/LaTeX and assorted other more or less public utilities.
>
>My choices for os currently are 1) linux, 2) 386BSD, or 3) possibly
>Coherent.  Linux is still a bit too unsettled to work up, YET.
>386BSD is too buggy, but may be ok in a few months.  Convince me that
>Coherent will or will not do what I have listed above as a minimal
>internet site.
>
>Also, send me any appropriate literature, as you feel may be of interest.

    Of the three, only 386BSD has a fully functional TCP/IP right now.
    But not a lot of ethernet adapters or drive controllers are supported
    yet, so look before you leap.  Linux is still a toy.

    Don't tell MWC I am writing, but go with 386BSD.  Yes, I helping in
    the effort to port TCP/IP to Coherent (so far, we are just
    collecting ethernet drivers and looking at ka9q code).  But I
    recently attended Bill Jolitz's talk on 386BSD.  Version 0.1 has no
    known bugs according to BJ.  There is a very strong push to
    automate the installation.  Plus it is being distributed on CD-ROM
    (US$60).  Finally, there are purportedly 100,000+ copies in
    distribution.  BJ will be publishing a book on 386BSD later this
    year, but in the mean time, the only down side seems to be that the
    documentation is scattered across several issues of Dr. Dobb's
    Journal.

    I confess that I am not using 386BSD yet.  And I don't know if
    system calls attempt to conform to Posix standards.  BJ's focus is
    on the operating system (e.g., I believe he intends to add kernel
    threading by Version 0.4),  but systems and network programmers are
    not likely to be harmed by that.

    Coherent requires few resources and offers BCS and good phone support
    which will benefit a business.  The simplified manual and driver
    kit also make learning a pleasure.  But if you know what you want,
    go with 386BSD!
    -Andrew Moore <a...@netcom.com>

From: torv...@klaava.Helsinki.FI (Linus Benedict Torvalds)
Newsgroups: comp.os.coherent
Date: 20 May 92 09:49:41 GMT

In article <920519230...@netcom.netcom.com>
"Coherent operating system" <COHERENT@indycms.bitnet> writes:

>    Of the three, only 386BSD has a fully functional TCP/IP right now.
>    But not a lot of ethernet adapters or drive controllers are supported
>    yet, so look before you leap.  Linux is still a toy.

Hey, I resent that.  No, linux doesn't have networking (well, there are
patches for a wd8003 and ka9q), but a toy? If you mean it's fun to work
on, then yes, it's a toy and my pet project, but it's a toy that happens
to run X11r5, almost all GNU packages etc.  I don't think any other free
kernel can say that right now.

Paging virtual memory (paging to a partition or a filesystem), shared
pages with COW, good posix-compliance, gcc-2.1, emacs, TeX, xdvi etc -
all for free from your nearest linux ftp-site.  It's not BSD, it's not
sysv, but it's here, and it works.  And the sources are understandable:
you can actually read them through in a week and understand what's going
on [*].  I doubt any other system can say the same right now.

		Linus

[*] The sources had better be understandable: there are no kernel docs
anywhere.  Lazy me.