From: j...@oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
Subject: Quo Vadis SCO?
Date: 26 May 92 19:35:55 GMT

Sorry if this is a rehash of ground already well-thrashed -- I haven't had
much time for the net lately.

It's my understanding that 1) SCO UNIX is basically a V.3.2 kernel and that
2) SCO has withdrawn from ACE.  Suppose I buy a new box whose native operating
system is SCO UNIX.  Will I be running V.3.2 *FOREVER*?  Note I'm not talking
here about going off and installing "my own" operating system, e.g. Hurd or
BSD386 etc. etc.:  the question is, what will SCO themselves be supporting
say 3 years from now?  Or do they really think that V.3.2 is the end-all and
be-all of operating systems?

It appears to me (as a complete outsider) as though SCO doesn't want to bite
the licensing bullet to do V.4, and has apparently fallen out of bed with
OSF.  They appear to be thinking, roughly (wrongly!):  "We are the 800 pound
gorilla in the PC UNIX marketplace; we don't really *HAVE* to make a move in
kernel technology; let's wait a while and let the dust settle."

This makes me very nervous.  We are in the market for a new box.  I would love
to get some kind of SMP box.  If it runs SCO MPX then I've got all kinds of
questions about what happens to the Corollary stuff *on top of* my SCO
questions.  I am really not terribly crazy about V.3.2, particularly the
virtual memory technology.

USL is telling me where they're headed, and making moves that let me guess at
some things they're not telling me.  (E.g. buying a piece of Chorus Systemes.)
OSF is telling me where it's headed.  SCO doesn't seem to be saying anything.
The only thing those with a stake in SCO seem to be able to say is "Hey,
lookit the pie chart!  We're That-Big-Fat-Piece!  That's all you need to
know!"  Didn't we used to call this IBM-think?  Most aggravating.
--
Jim Rosenberg             #include <disclaimer.h>      --cgh!amanue!oglvee!jr
Oglevee Computer Systems                                        /      /