From: lyn...@ampr.ab.ca (Lyndon Nerenberg)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd
Subject: Funding 4.4BSD Development
Date: 25 Jun 92 21:52:28 GMT

Before everyone throws their money away trying to keep CSRG alive,
consider that the way every gov't institution works makes it impossible
for us to "fund" the CSRG. Any money sent to UCB goes into the general
revenue fund (at least that's the way it works at every gov't and
post-secondary institution I have dealt with). It would be damned
near impossible to work something out to get the money directly into
CSRG unless you had enough of it to make the Regents or the Governing
Council sit up and take notice. Note that a few hundred thousand dollars
probably won't even make them blink.

It you want to see BSD continue as a living entity, take your money
down to the BSDI folks and exchange it for a distribution tape.

At this point BSDI and CSRG aren't really that different. Yes, BSDI is
in it for the bucks, but then again BSD from UCB was never really "free"
either. We payed via the license fee, and the money that lets UCB operate
to begin with doesn't come out of thin air.

TANSTAAFL.