Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd
From: rom...@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (Kai-Uwe Rommel)
Subject: 386BSD on CD-ROM?
Sender: n...@Informatik.TU-Muenchen.DE (USENET Newssystem)
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1992 19:09:49 GMT

I have tried the 386BSD 0.1 boot floppy on my machine and it seems to
work fine. I have a 486/33 with 16MB and an Adaptec 1542B controller. It
drives a DEC hard disk, a Tandberg Streamer and a NEC CD-ROM reader.

Even from the boot floppy (TinyBSD) I was able to mount the CD-ROM drive
and access an ISO-9660 CD-ROM in it. The 386BSD docs say that
installation via CD-ROM is possible. Question: is 386BSD 0.1 really
available on CD-ROM? If so, where and how much is the CD?

Another question: how can I access the Tandberg Streamer? It is a model
4120 (SCSI-2, 1GB) and the doc's say 386BSD supports QIC-150 tapes. The
streamer supports 150MB tapes too (it's the low end it can read and
write). However, if I access /dev/ras4a as suggested (the streamer is
target 4 on the controller), I get "Bad file descriptor". If I access
/dev/as4d instead, the SCSI bus id flickers shortly and I get
"Input/Output error". Any idea? If I got that working, I could make a
386BSD tape under OS/2 2.0 and install 386BSD from it.

Kai Uwe Rommel

/* Kai Uwe Rommel --- rom...@informatik.tu-muenchen.de */

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams