From: er...@tantalus.dell.com (Eric Youngdale)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.sysv386
Subject: xrn broken in Dell release 2.2 ?
Date: 24 Sep 92 16:38:45 GMT
Sender: use...@ra.nrl.navy.mil

	I just installed the release 2.2 on one of our Dell machines, and
I was able to get nearly everything working.  I can start up X-Windows, and
everything works fine, but xdm will not start.  I get the following in the
xdm-errors file:

>X386 Version 1.2 / X Windows System
>(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 5000)
>
>ATI: Ultra (mem: 1024k clocks: 25 30 36 40 45 50 65 75)
>Cannot open /dev/mouse: No such device or address
>Cannot open /dev/mouse: No such device or address
>
>Fatal server error:
>failed to initialize core devices
>error (pid 572): server open failed for :0, giving up
>error (pid 569): Display :0 cannot be opened

and basically keeps retrying.  We are using the mousemgr, and I have the
old-style logitech 3 button mouse.  Since X works if I start it with startx,
I would tend to believe that the problem is somehow localized to xdm.

	If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, I would be interested in
hearing them.

-Eric

--
Eric Youngdale
er...@tantalus.nrl.navy.mil

>	I just installed the release 2.2 on one of our Dell machines, and
>I was able to get nearly everything working.  I can start up X-Windows, and
>everything works fine, but xdm will not start.  I get the following in the
>xdm-errors file:

	I finally got around to getting a new copy of mini-inews, so I now have
the correct From address.  The tantalus.dell.com address is bogus, but perhaps
appropriate considering the nature of the post. :-).

-Eric
--
Eric Youngdale
er...@tantalus.nrl.navy.mil