From: s...@brownie.cs.wisc.edu (Bryan S. So)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.wizards,comp.unix.shell,comp.unix.misc
Subject: The Problem with UNIX
Date: 9 Nov 92 17:27:15 GMT
Sender: n...@cs.wisc.edu (The News)

I am doing research on UNIX command line interface problems.
I am sure everyone has his/her favorite UNIX troubles, would
you post or email me what's your favorites?  What should have
been done by UNIX to resolve that problem in general?

Does anybody know of excellent papers in this area?  I know
about Norman's "The Trouble with UNIX".

To start the discussion, consider the following problems:

    cat a b > b

    This is a general problem of trying to modify the input
    file.

    rm -filename_with_a_hyphen

    This is a general problem of name clash (clashing filename
    with command options.)

    mail somebody < a.out

    Sending binary file should be uuencoded first.  This is a
    general type conflict problem.

Bryan So