From: g...@perry.berkeley.edu (Greg Anderson)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.time.ntp
Subject: Daylight/Std Time & Time Zones
Date: 12 Nov 1992 19:49:52 GMT

Please forgive me if this is a FAQ, but:

Recently, a question has arisen here involving time zones and
Daylight vs. Standard Time.

We would like to be able to convert dates and times (in UTC)
to their equivalent dates and times in various time zones, including
Pacific Daylight and Standard Time, and vice versa.  I am wondering
if anyone out there knows of a source where one can get the *entire*
definitive history of the rules for determining Daylight vs. Standard
Time.

I realize that Standard vs. Daylight is largely an American
abberation, and that local jurisdictions (states?) are responsible
for determining whether or not to actually make the change.

So does anyone know where one would go to get that sort of
info?   I would like to write a definitive convertor, if possible,
but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Anderson
UC Berkeley Seismographic Stations
Berkeley, CA  94720
USA