Newsgroups: comp.unix.sys5.r4,comp.unix.sysv386
From: co...@cbnewsm.cb.att.com (william.c.brown)
Subject: UNIVEL MUST BE KIDDING!!!!!
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1992 23:54:43 GMT

	Well I just downloaded the pricing info from UNIVEL
	on their Unixware SYSVR4.2 product and WOW what a
	surprise!!! Heres the break down:

	Personal Edition (runtime only) $495.00
	Application server              $2495.00
        Software dev kit                $995.00
        TCP/IP for PE                   $295.00
        Personal utilities              $395.00
        Encryption kit                  $95.00
        C2 auditing  (PE)               $195.00
        C2 auditing  (Server)           $195.00
        Windows merge (PE)              $395.00
        Windows merge (Server)          $995.00
        Veritis file system (Server)    $3285.00

	So if I want to put together a personal edition with the
	dev kit and TCP/IP and personal utilities (BSD stuff)
	heres the total ticket:

	PE      495.00
	Dev     995.00
        TCP     295.00
        Utils   395.00
        Merge   395.00
                --------
        Total   $2575.00        ------- WHAT!!!!! --------

	If I have misread the fax I got from UNIVEL I sure hope
	somebody straightens me out. What happened to price competitive
	with OS/2 and NT??? Even for the runtime 495.00 is 400% higher
	than OS/2..

	What about Consensys?? I just called them I get all of the
	above for $995.00 complete. What gives Univel???

	On that note, does anybody have any experience with the
	new Consensys product or with Consensys in general???

	When will Esix, Dell, etc... have their SYSV4.2 ready???

	I am REALLY disappointed with the UNIVEL pricing, if you
	couldn't tell, and I am prepared to look at other vendors
	for my SYSV4.2 now...

/* Corey Brown  (WB0RXQ): 20m, 15m, 2m(146.82) 70cm(443.65)     */
/* Alpharetta, Ga 30202						*/
/* (404)750-8071						*/
/* att!alphlk!wcb          | They're history in terms of the	*/
/* attmail!wcbrown         | future! (lws-91)			*/