Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd
From: da...@csrg2.ee.iastate.edu (Jim Davis)
Subject: 386BSD vs Linux: major differences?
Sender: ne...@news.iastate.edu (USENET News System)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1992 02:17:43 GMT

Although I use UNIX at work everyday, I am interested in tinkering with
UNIX at home.  It seems like 386BSD or Linux would fit my modest needs.
I have been reading comp.unix.bsd and comp.os.linux for about a month;
both groups seem to be very active and doing an excellent job of
porting software and providing support to users.  But I have wondered
why there are two efforts to provide a free UNIX...is it just coincidence
that two groups developed a distribution at about the same time?  or did
they have different goals?  or is this a BSD vs. System-V thing?
Without starting a flame war or anything like that, I would appreciate
hearing about the major differences between BSD and Linux.

"thanks in advance"

Jim Davis
da...@iastate.edu